If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Mountain Identification

Chat about the Catskill Mountains in general.
jsowle

Mountain Identification

Unread post by jsowle »

We have a view of one part of the Catskills out our window on Old Kings Road in the town of Catskill and I'd like to know what we're looking at, specifically if it might be the location of the Mountain House. Is there a picture or drawing on line or in a book that would show the view from the east and identify the mountain peaks? I could upload a picture of the view if that would help.
kennykb

Re: Mountain Identification

Unread post by kennykb »

A lot of us know that skyline - the Great Wall of Manitou - quite well. Post a picture and we'll name the peaks and valleys.

From that side, what you can see on the escarpment, from south to north (left to right)

Meads Mountain, Overlook Mountain, Plattekill Mountain (and Indian Head beyond it), the deep valley of Platte Clove. Huckleberry Point, Kaaterskill High Peak, and the deep valley of the Kaaterskill. South Mountain, North Mountain/Stoppel Point, the valley of Dutcher's Notch. Arizona, the Blackhead Range, Burnt Knob, Acra Point, Windham High Peak. The Overlook Mountain House was a little bit south of the summit of Overlook, and the Catskill Mountain House was on the ridge about a third of the way from South Mountain to North Mountain.

You won't see it all from any one point, but the shapes are distinctive enough that the people here can help you name everything if you post a picture, particularly if you can say where on the Old Kings Road you are - it's a long road, and the views along it change.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
jsowle

Unread post by jsowle »

Here's the view, as you can see it's through the trees so much is hidden.
We're at 2678 Old Kings Road, about a mile from the Ulster County line, above the road on the east side.
IMG_1878.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike

Unread post by mike »

My first guess would be Kaaterskill High Peak. It would be west of your location and maybe slightly south.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Kaaterskill High Peal is my guess, too, but I'd have thought that from that vantage point, I'd see Round Top peeking out to the right of it. Any chance you can get a compass bearing on the peak? With that, knowing your location, I could tell you in a jiffy.

If it is KHP, then there's another, somewhat lower cliff to the right of that valley on the right side of the picture. The Mountain House site is along that ridge.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
jsowle

Unread post by jsowle »

Thanks so much for these replies!

The slight rise to the right side of the break in the trees, before it starts going down into the valley to the north, is at 320 NW.

John
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

jsowle wrote:Thanks so much for these replies!

The slight rise to the right side of the break in the trees, before it starts going down into the valley to the north, is at 320 NW.

John
My best guess is that it's North Mountain.

you can download Google earth and draw a line for any azimuth.
I have done that from where google say's you're house is (it might be different in reality), and a different starting location will give you a different location for that azimuth.

Here's the 320 NW line: