If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Early May and the Flies are Biting

Chat about the Catskill Mountains in general.
bousquet19

Early May and the Flies are Biting

Unread post by bousquet19 »

One of the joys of hiking before mid-May is the chance to avoid the biting insects. No such luck this year, though. Along with the early arrival of migrating songbirds, 80-degree temperatures, snowmelt and spring wildflowers has come the emergence of black flies in the Catskills. :(

Yesterday (May 4), I climbed Fir and Big Indian. Morning brought overcast skies, some mist, cool temperatures (lower 50s) and a bit of drizzle. By the time I ate lunch on top of Fir, I was beginning to see my shadow. (Six more weeks of spring?) The crossover to Big Indian was downright warm at times. Black flies found me every time the occasional breezes died down. Although they did draw some blood, they were more annoying than painful. Hungry bugs blurred my camera lens every time I tried to take a photo.

I went into a store that evening to get some bug repellent b/c I hadn't thought to bring any. The storekeeper told me that bug repellent is out of season (hmm, tell that to the bugs), but she'd see what she could find. A couple of minutes' worth of digging uncovered a package of bug repellent towelettes, with a couple missing. They'll have to do for tomorrow.

So, black flies have arrived. I guess that's good news to the birds that eat them. 'Wouldn't have bothered me if they'd waited.

Woody
mike

Re: Early May and the Flies are Biting

Unread post by mike »

I used inspect repellent today. Didn't stop the black flies from attacking me all day.