If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Catskills Help! Visiting after snow storm.

Chat about the Catskill Mountains in general.
arnst19

Re: Catskills Help! Visiting after snow storm.

Unread post by arnst19 »

mtnclimber wrote:Make sure you do the north access route. The south route is dangerous in the snow. The north can be tough in the snow, but is doable. Be careful on Hurricane Ledge and the NE ledge. Both can be dangerous if you slip off.
I assume you are talking about the top and bottom of Kaaterskill Falls? Was planning on doing both but I'll only do the top now.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I think he is talking about the South Route to Kaaterskill High Peak. Not a good route to do in the snow. You can climb the North Route of Kaaterskill High Peak in the snow. I think you are talking about Kaaterskill Falls.

You can hike to the base of Kaaterskill Falls any time of the year. Hiking down to the top of Kaaterskill Falls with snow on the ground is often not recommended. If you do, stay away from the rim. Some people have slid off the rim to their death. The view from the top are not that great anyway.
arnst19

Unread post by arnst19 »

Thanks for the info. We got up here just now so we will do the falls on the way out thurs afternoon and we will only go to the base of the falls.

We picked up microspikes from rock and snow and are all ready to do hunter tmrw and twin mtn + the falls on thurs. Forgot to pickup the nynj catskills map set at rock and snow because we just made it there before they closed. Hopefully they will sell the maps at the general store near where we are staying
mike

Unread post by mike »

arnst19

Unread post by arnst19 »

thanks for the links. I have those pages printed out. Heading out to do Twin mountain now. Will report back.
arnst19

Unread post by arnst19 »

Back from Twin. Very cool hike.

Started at 11:30am. Nobody had been up the trail since the snow. The first mile or so the trail had no snow on it just lots of water/mud (very glad I bought new hiking boots).

Once we started the incline heading towards the notch there was 100% snow cover but many of rocks on the trail were exposed. We easily could of used the microspikes going up but we didn't. I had a blast because I've never hiked in these conditions before. It was slippery, and an ankle turner waiting to happen, but we had no problems.

The top was great. Awesome view.

Going back down, we put the microspikes on and they helped a lot since going down was more sketchy with the snow. Awesome device, allowed us to move quick going down.

Tmrw is Hunter and Kaaterskill Falls
mike

Unread post by mike »

Sounds like you had a good time. The view is exceptional. A favorite among locals. I had a friend who was married at the view point.

The mud at the beginning of the hike is always there. During very wet Springs, the mud can get quite bad. Here is a shoe we found in the mud on the way to Twin last year:

Microspikes are a great device. Everyone here has them. Great for icy days or hard snow.

Tomorrow should be a easier hike. The views from the fire tower are quite nice. You will like Kaaterskill Falls too. The water has been running good, so it should be enjoyable.
arnst19

Unread post by arnst19 »

Today was great. Hunter via BH was great. Snow for the second half, used microspikes due to the steepness. Great workout, had to stop many times to rest. Had lunch at top, climbed fire tower, and went back down same way.

Went directly from Hunter to the Falls. Cool short little trail, no snow at all. The falls were awesome, huge flow.

Thank you guys so much for the help. I will for sure be coming back to do more hikes, and I also just found out hunter mountain has a crazy zipline thing that I need to do. The house we rented was awesome and the area is great.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Glad to hear you had a good time. Hunter Mtn rarely disappoints.

Kaaterskill Falls is always nice to visit when the water is high. Easy hike too. There are over 30 waterfalls in the Kaaterskill Clove, and Kaaterskill Falls is not the highest either. 50-60 waterfalls on the Kaaterskill Mtn Range. Most people only know about a couple. We are working on getting all the waterfalls up on the site.

The zip line is fairly new at Hunter Mtn. You can get more information on http://www.huntermtn.com

Glad to hear you had a good time.