If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Bear hunting

Chat about the Catskill Mountains in general.
erik7181

Bear hunting

Unread post by erik7181 »

I'm looking for some good places in greene county to hunt bears. I live in lanesville and this will be my first year out. Can I hunt on round top? Anyone have suggestions? Thanks Erik
mike

Re: Bear hunting

Unread post by mike »

It is hard to hunt on RoundTop Mtn. Too hard to get the bear down the mountain. Most people stay near the end of Gillespie Road. Last year, they got most of the bears there. Not as many as before. Most people hunt in the Colgate Lake Region. Probably the best place for bear hunting.
erik7181

Is there somewhere I could get more info on colegate lake?. You mentioned at the end of gillespie rd by the 2nd DEC lot? That mite be good as I could have my jeep right there. When people hunt bear do you just post up in a spot, can I use attractents scents? Because I know you can't bait in ny but the scent I was looking at has no food value. Can you eat black bear or are they just for the mount, I was gonna have it skinned.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I think most people hunt from Colgate Lake to the edge of Blackhead Mountains. There is a lot of woods there.

Most park at PA #2 on Gillespie Road. They then walk up the trail and take a right. Then they walk down until they hit the creek. Maybe a 1 mile from your car.

Yes, people do eat bear meat.

I don't know about baiting.
erik7181

Thanks for the response. Yes I do have a licence, and I have a buck tag and a bear tag I was unable to get doe tags. To be honest I will see what happens I may try for a bear and I may not. It is my first year hunting and there is a good chance ill be by my self so I don't know how id drag out a big bear. As for not shhoting a small one I'm familiar with conservation I have heard a lot of people who hunt in the catskills just shoot the first thing they see. I mite just go deer hunting, it mite be best to learn a bit before I go and try to tackle something like a bear. We'll see what happens. Thanks Erik
erik7181

I am from the city but for the most i grew up in the catskills, my father used to bring me up there on weekends to fish around boiceville, phoencia, hunter. We used to hike alot. I would be happy just to see a bear. i would honestly just post up and see what i see, if i was going for a deer i wouldn't mind hikeing in three miles cuz it'd be a little easyer i would think then a bear although i could be wrong. Where can i buy one of those carts? would they have them at Gander in kingston?