If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

New member memories

Chat about the Catskill Mountains in general.
Mike G

New member memories

Unread post by Mike G »

I’m new to this forum but not to the Catskills. More precisely, “The Mountain Top” (Hunter/Tannersville/Haines Falls). I was born and raised in the Bronx but I was fortunate to be taken by my folks on camping vacations in the early 50’s to North Lake were I fell in love with the out-of-doors. Back then it was just called North Lake and the toilet facilities were outhouses, before the 2 lakes were combined. The only access to south Lake was by walking the old railroad bed from the Rangers Station at North Lake. As a kid I remember the railroad bed to still have some ties on it. At the eastern end of South Lake (where the spillway is now) there used to be a collapsed building where they rented boats to people who stayed at the Mountain House. I even remember playing inside The Mountain House (although it was boarded up), there was still an old piano inside. I sure wish I had taken pictures back then. I subsequently brought my own children camping to the new and improved North/South Lake Campgrounds. Does anyone remember at the campgrounds when they had an attraction called “Rip Van Winkle Village”. It didn’t last long. Sorry about my rambling but I love the area so much I had to share. By the way, my wife and I just got a small cabin on North Lake Road only a half mile from the entrance to the campgrounds and will be moving up permanently in June. We can’t wait.
mike

Re: New member memories

Unread post by mike »

Welcome to the forum Mike. North-South Lake is a favorite place for many people. Few people remember when the two lakes were separated. South Lake was raised in water level by about 10'. This got rid of the lily pads. There are still pictures around of the Catskill Mountain House. Today all 3 hotels are long gone. Most people are not aware that the Laural House even existed. The place is now overgrown with trees. Even the Kaaterskill Hotel is getting overgrown. They put up a new plaque for the Catskill Mountain House this summer.