If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Looking for places to hunt big bear

Chat about the Catskill Mountains in general.
mike

Re: Looking for places to hunt big bear

Unread post by mike »

Kaaterskill Mtn range typically has a high bear population. But, last year hunters descended upon the mtn and significantly reduced the bear population. This issue with KMR is that you have to travel many miles into the forest to get to them. Nobody wants to drag a 600 lb bruin 5 miles. But, this year we have seen very few bears up there. Most used Gillespie Road and then took the old logging road in. I would avoid this mtn range for the next couple of years until the bears come back.

Colgate Lake, Blackhead, to Cairo is very good this year. But, a lot of hunters know that too. Location of one of the hunting accidents. But, probably the best place right now. The DEC tried to get people to hunt on Windham, but I have not seen any bears on Windham. Not sure why they said that.

We have seen a significant number of bears up around Eagle Mtn, to Big Indian Mtn. Can be accessed by Biscuit Brook, Seager, etc. Remember that Doubletop & Graham Mtns are privately owned.

Have seen some bears up at Pisgah last year. South Mtn access (not north/south lake - north side of Pisgah and Richmond) is a popular access and hunting location.

I don't think you can hunt around North/South lake, but I could be wrong. A LOT of people hike there. Most of the bears there travel at night because of the large number of people there. Not a good hunting location.

I haven't seen any bears around Panther, Giant Ledge, and Slide. But I am sure they exist there somewhere.
mike

Re: Looking for places to hunt big bear

Unread post by mike »

Seen the most amount of bear activity in the Big Indian area this year. Incredible amount of scat. One human-bear incident there a month ago.

Locals go to Blackhead. They know exactly where to do.

Pisgah is another area for locals, but used less then you might think. It is actually a Wild Forest versus a Forest Preserve.