If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Dutcher Notch Trail Parking

Chat about the Catskill Mountains in general.
Fast_Hike

Dutcher Notch Trail Parking

Unread post by Fast_Hike »

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there is trailhead parking at the eastern end of the Dutcher Notch Trail? I believe this end of the trail is accessible from Stork's Nest Road, off of Floyd Hawver Road. Please let me know, and if you have any idea about winter access to such parking, I would appreciate any information you have.

Thanks,
Fast_Hike
mike

Re: Dutcher Notch Trail Parking

Unread post by mike »

Yes, there is trail head parking at the end of Storks Nest Road. I was up there about 3 years ago. This Winter might be a problem. With budget cuts at the DEC and many towns, it is hard to say if the road will be plowed. But, in years past it has been plowed.

Here is another idea if you have a problem. If you continue further down Floyd Hawver Road, you will come to Winter Clove Road. You can park at the Winter Clove Inn (in the public area). They have a 2 mile (?) trail to Stoppel Point. I have never hike from Winter Clove Road, but I know others have. From what I understand you can also hike to Rip's Ledge from the Inn, instead of the difficult climb from the valley.

Hope this helps
mtnclimber

Re: Dutcher Notch Trail Parking

Unread post by mtnclimber »

If I remember correctly, it is just a deadend with a turnaround. It was plowed last winter. Never hiked from Winter Clove. I will have to try it sometime.

Mike, weren't you thinking about hiking blackhead down to Dutchers Notch with Rich K?