If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

What is your scariest hiking moment

Chat about the Catskill Mountains in general.
bikenhike

What is your scariest hiking moment

Unread post by bikenhike »

Tell us about your scariest hiking moment.
mike

Re: What is your scariest hiking moment

Unread post by mike »

There have been many moments. Here is one: I was hiking the old Overlook Carriage Road from Platte Clove. We were on our way to Echo Lake. After we had passed the trail to Plattekill Mountain, we ran into a mother bear. She was upset. Then we discovered that we were in between the mother, her cub, and a cliff. When things looked bleak, the cub ran off. The mother finally moved out of the way, and we were out of our trapped position.
alexis

Re: What is your scariest hiking moment

Unread post by alexis »

About 10 years ago we were hiking in Glacier National park in NW Montana. We were hiking up to Iceberg Lake. We stopped on the side of the trail, while my friend went down the slope about 20' to take a picture. While I was standing there, I heard a snort of a grizzly bear very close to me. The bear was actually sleeping in the bushes right behind me. I woke him up, and he stood up towering over me. Usually, if you get within 500' of them, they will attack you. This guy must have still been half asleep. He turned around and walked off. I was told that his head was the size of my upper torso. Just an unbelievable moment. We both walked away without a scratch.