If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

BLM & Graham Mtn

Alder Lake, Balsam Lake Mtn, Cradle Rock Ridge, Graham, Mill Brook Ridge, Woodpecker Ridge,
mike

BLM & Graham Mtn

Unread post by mike »

Alexis and I met a crew of other hikers (Alan, Ralph, Maddy, Heather, Tom, Melissa, Tom, Matthew) at the Mill Brook Parking Area. Our plan for the day was to hike Balsam Lake Mountain Fire Tower, and then hike over to Graham Mtn. Then we were going to hike down the North ridge line to the Seager Parking Area. We had several cars there. Unfortunately Alan and Matthew never made it, so the 8 of us headed up the easy grade road to BLM Fire Tower.

There were about 2" of snow in the parking lot from the snow last night. It was nice and fresh. Easy walking, but some icy spots here-and-there. We didn't bring snowshoes, and we didn't put our microspikes on. As we approached BLM Fire tower, the snow had increased to around 4-6" of snow. It was cloudy and a little windy.

At the BLM Fire Tower we stopped for a while to take pictures. We then headed to Graham Mtn. We had hoped to see some bear tracks, but apparently they had moved into the winter dens. In fact, we didn't see many tracks at all during the hike. Normally, there are a lot of animals. As we hiked up Graham, one of the dogs actually caught a Grouse hiding in the snow. Never seen that happen before.

When we got to the top of Graham, it was windy, so we moved inside the Radio building while we waited for everyone to get to the top. We then headed down the mountain. When we got to the location to break off onto the North ridge. But, we decided to scrap that idea, and headed back down to the Mill Brook parking lot.

We hiked about 10.10 miles. Overall it was a good day of hiking with great friends.

The final grade up to the BLM Fire Tower

Just below the BLM Fire Tower

BLM Fire Tower

Conifer Trees with icicles.

Radio Transmitter Building on Graham Mountain
mtnclimber

Re: BLM & Graham Mtn

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Looks like Winter has arrived. You can snowshoe on all the snow.

I can barely get a glimpse of a grouse when they fly off. And, this dog caught one? Wow!
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

I have heard of this hike. Can you bike it? I am always looking for new places to go. Pictures sure do look nice. The story of the Grouse was incredible. Never heard of a dog catching one.
SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

"BLM Fire tower" and "Conifer trees with icicles" are fantastic photos! Looks like a really fun hike!
mike

Unread post by mike »

Yup, the dog actually caught it.

No, you can't bike it. But, it would make a nice bike trail. I think the trail goes over private property with an easement. So, there are probably conditions to the easement.

Yes, it is a fun hike. Real easy hiking because the incline is so mellow most of the way. Good views on top too.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

I like the snow! Why is there so much snow some places and none other places? It's like twilight zone. Just wish there would be 1 good dumping all over and it'd be done with.

Still no snow in Jersey (i don't count 10/29)

P.s. How do you post the pictures to the forum like that?
mike

Unread post by mike »

Winter is a little late in arriving in the Catskills. We usually get weather change at the beginning of January. So hopefully, we will get some snow soon!

To post an image, just click on the Img button above. Then place the URL between them. It should then popup. Some image sites have a separate address for linking.