If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Vly hike - Sept 7 2014

Bearpen Mtn, Cator Roundtop, Hog Mtn, Irish Mtn, Kip Hill, North Bearpen Mtn, Montgomery Hollow Mtn, Moresville Range (peak, SE, SW), Peak 3403, Pine Mtn, Red Kill Ridge, Shutice Mtn, South Bearpen Mtn, White Man Mtn
daveoleary

Vly hike - Sept 7 2014

Unread post by daveoleary »

I was passing through and hoped to have time for both Bearpen and Vly this past Sunday, but I didn't get to the trailhead until about 3:45 so decided to just run up Vly. Parked at the snowplow turnaround since I wasn't sure about the road conditions or parking at the col. Should have read the previous trip reports more closely, since it looked my Subaru Outback would have made it up to the top (from the south side / Fleischmanns). Although it wasn't clear to me where it would be okay to park at the top of the col without being right next to a no trespassing sign or in front of the cabin.
Anyway, the road walk was fine and only took 15 minutes or so anyway, and it was a very nice day. The herd path up Vly was easy to find just past the state forest markers (and more no trespassing signs), but I was looking at the Venture Out map which showed what appeared to be old woods roads, first following more or less along the same contour as the trailhead, and then cutting sharply to the right and much steeper uphill, and decided to try that route. The road had a few sections with some blowdown and washout, but overall, the flatter section (due east from the trailhead) was an easy walk through ferns and some nettles (which weren't stinging too bad) and small maples, etc. This route did not appear to get heavy foot traffic but it looks like it has been traveled this summer (possibly by deer although I wasn't really looking for tracks). The first part is relatively flat with a gradual ascent but then drops perhaps 25-50 feet in elevation shortly before the turn. I did not have a GPS or altimeter with me so not checking too carefully as to specific distance or elevation change. The right turn uphill was very apparent - this also appeared to be an old woods road but whatever was driving up this hill could handle a pretty steep grade. The uphill route also continues to the left downhill, but I didn't check the road in that direction. Uphill continued for perhaps 10-15 minutes when the remnants of the road became pretty obscure, and I could tell I was getting close so I just pressed forward uphill toward the top. I could tell that I was veering off to the left a bit, somewhat intentionally since I figured I could get to the ridge top and then follow over to find the canister. There was only one place that was a little ledgy but otherwise it was pretty much just heading up the moderately steep grade through ferns and small trees, some places pretty thick. Total time to the top from parking about an hour, maybe a little more. Wandered around the flat section on top, east of the canister - it is quite flat and generally easy to walk around. Couldn't find much in the way of views. Flushed a bunch of grouse, a couple on the way up but many up on top. Signed in at the canister (I think 4-5 others had been up earlier in the day, but no one signed in on Saturday when t'storms were forecast, and one person on Friday). Headed down the herd path which is pretty established by this time of year, and was surprised at how steep it seemed with a few small ledges to climb down, compared to my route up. Lost the path in one place where the route flattened out, but found it again within a few minutes. Took about 30 minutes to get back down to the col and then headed up the road past the cabin for 10 minutes or so to check things out, but didn't have enough time so started to head home. Back at the car at a little before 6. Nice day, another one checked off the list and not too scratched up :-)
kennykb

Re: Vly hike - Sept 7 2014

Unread post by kennykb »

Nice trip report, thanks for the info!

I've heard that there's a spot on County Road 3 wide enough to park a car a little bit down on the north side of the col - not too far past where the old road joins.

I'd noticed the old road on the NYNJTC map, and thought I might come back that way after doing Vly. But when I did it, the flies were murder, so my daughter and I just decided to turn around and sprint out down the property line, the same way we'd come in. (Those blue and yellow blazes you see on the herd path are marking the witness trees from a survey. Most of them are refreshing old hatchet blazes.)

I gotta get out and bag another peak or two. Looks as if it won't be for another couple of months the way things are going, because I'm planning a 15-day hiking vacation next month - Lake Placid to Benson, with days off in two of the towns on the way, and maybe the odd side trip here and there. By the time I'm back to the Catskills, though, it should be prime bushwhack season, with the leaves off the trees and the snow not too deep yet. (Which is good, the nine peaks I have left to go include seven bushwhacks and one winter.)
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.