If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Bearpen and Vly

Bearpen Mtn, Cator Roundtop, Hog Mtn, Irish Mtn, Kip Hill, North Bearpen Mtn, Montgomery Hollow Mtn, Moresville Range (peak, SE, SW), Peak 3403, Pine Mtn, Red Kill Ridge, Shutice Mtn, South Bearpen Mtn, White Man Mtn
kkayaker8

Bearpen and Vly

Unread post by kkayaker8 »

Went up Bearpen two weekends ago - lovely time. We parked on Ski Run Road and traversed over to County Route 3 in Little Westkill where we had a second car. The ridge walk was beautiful with lots of tracks, even bear tracks.

Went up Vly today from country route 3 in Little Westkill. Just a couple of powdery inches, but covering many slick icy spots on the old turnpike up to the tar paper shack. No snowshoes necessary up to Vly from there, but slick in some spots.
mike

Re: Bearpen and Vly

Unread post by mike »

I love that ridge walk in the Winter. It is spectacular when there is rime on the trees. Glad to hear that you have a good time.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

That ridge walk is so nice. Were there any snowmobiles up there?
CTCatskillfan

Unread post by CTCatskillfan »

Is the route from Lake St. in Fleischmanns, which I beleive is County Rt. 39 and Route 3 to the trailhead open? I noticed Rt. 39 was closed in August. If so, I would like to try Bearpen and Vly soon.
mike

Unread post by mike »

There is a detour in Fleischmanns. Drive a little further into town and take the street up the hill. This will run into Rt 3. We did it about a month ago.