If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Roundtop

Bearpen Mtn, Cator Roundtop, Hog Mtn, Irish Mtn, Kip Hill, North Bearpen Mtn, Montgomery Hollow Mtn, Moresville Range (peak, SE, SW), Peak 3403, Pine Mtn, Red Kill Ridge, Shutice Mtn, South Bearpen Mtn, White Man Mtn
mike

Roundtop

Unread post by mike »

On Saturday we were going to hike the Kaaterskill Amphitheater. But, Alexis didn't want to do this hike today. So we decided to head to Huntersfield Mtn. But, when we got to the road, the snow was still too deep to drive in on the road. So, we decided on Plan "C". We headed to Bearpen. When we got to Ski Run Road, the road was basically clear. So we headed up Ski Run Road. There was a little snow on the road. When we got about 3/4 of the way up, the road was covered with snow, and it was getting deeper. We decided to stop and hike up the last 1/4 mile.

It was a beautiful day with nice blue skies. It was windy, so we keep our fleece and jackets on. We saw a lot of wildlife prints in the snow. We saw a coyote prints walking the road. There were two bobcat prints. And, as always there were a lot of porcupines chewing their way through the maple trees.

Here are some pictures:

Map of our path

Pretty typical views that we saw all day long

Where we parked in the conifers

The old Ski Run Road

View point to the north of the summit

A group of rocks I like to call the "cellar"

Very near the summit

Crazy plastic Stop sign
mtnclimber

Re: Roundtop

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I've been waiting for some of those beautiful rime pictures you got last year. Looks like you guys had a good time.
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

Where in the heck did that stop sign come from? It looks like one of those plastic signs. Nice hike. I would like to see Huntersfield hike when you do that one.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I think the DEC put it up. there were other signs further up. Don't think we will be doing Huntersfield this weekend. Actually, not sure where we will be going.
Emily&hounds

Unread post by Emily&hounds »

You guys should be aware that this is a popular local hunting spot for deer, bear, raccoons, and coyotes in season. There is some logging that goes on here in summertime. Round Top, and the Heisinger Road approach to Bear Pen, are both very popular snowmobiling and ATV routes for locals.
I particularly like to do the ski run road route to Bear Pen on a full moon night. If you bring a dog, beware of porcupines. If you encounter coyotes up close, shine a light at them and they will usually retreat.