If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Vly & Bearpen - Oct 10, 2010

Bearpen Mtn, Cator Roundtop, Hog Mtn, Irish Mtn, Kip Hill, North Bearpen Mtn, Montgomery Hollow Mtn, Moresville Range (peak, SE, SW), Peak 3403, Pine Mtn, Red Kill Ridge, Shutice Mtn, South Bearpen Mtn, White Man Mtn
mike

Vly & Bearpen - Oct 10, 2010

Unread post by mike »

With such a beautiful weekend, I headed out to Bearpen Mtn Range. Instead of hiking it from the north side, I decided to hike it from the south. With the leaves peaking out in their vivid and brilliant colors, you would think that the parking lot would be packed. But, I was the only person there. Lucky me!

I headed up the dirt section of Rt 3:

After about a mile, I hit the pass on the mountain range. There is the Hunters's Cabin right on the pass. But today, no one was staying there.

From the Hunters Cabin I headed up Vly Mountain. The trail is faint this time of the year because of the leaves that have recently fallen. But, it can be followed. I decided to bushwhack part of the way to see a few other features. Part way up I got the only view from Vly Mountain:

Shortly after experienced my only view, I reached the summit:

I then reversed my course back to the Hunters Cabin. From there I took the snowmobile trail past the front porch of the Hunter's Cabin. After I got to the switchback, there is a new Snowmobile trail on the right. I took that trail. The new SMT didn't seem very good for snowmobiles, but seemed pretty good for hikers.

After a nice walk, I hit the summit:
vlybearpen-16-15.jpg
vlybearpen-17-15.jpg
I then headed back to my vehicle. During the trip I also saw a nice Eastern Comma Butterfly. More commonly called a Fall Comma because it lives during the fall foliage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.