If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Bearpen Mtns from Ski Run Road

Bearpen Mtn, Cator Roundtop, Hog Mtn, Irish Mtn, Kip Hill, North Bearpen Mtn, Montgomery Hollow Mtn, Moresville Range (peak, SE, SW), Peak 3403, Pine Mtn, Red Kill Ridge, Shutice Mtn, South Bearpen Mtn, White Man Mtn
mike

Bearpen Mtns from Ski Run Road

Unread post by mike »

On January 14, I had decided to hike bearpen mountain. Unfortunately, I started late, which made my trip worse. I had been told that I could access the best route from Rt 3 from the south side of the mountain range. My first mistake was to try an cut across from Rt 42 to Rt 3 thru the woods. It was slow going, and it started to snow as I took some of the backroads. After a long period of time, I was almost to Rt 3. But, I found that the road I had picked was seasonal, and closed. I had to back track. This wasted over an hour. I then got lost again looking for Rt 3 because it is not marked from Main Street. After back tracking, I got on Rt 3. When I finally got to the starting point, I was met with No Parking signs and No Trespassing signs. I now had to go back to Rt 42 and go the to other side of the mountain. By the time I got to Ski Run Road on the north side of the bearpen mountain range, it was getting late. By the time I drove up the road and parked it was 1:30 PM! And, now it was snowing! Bearpen is one of those mountains you want to climb on a nice clear day. So I hiked Bearpen Roundtop Mountain instead. I vowed to return tomorrow to climb Bearpen.

When I had climbed Bearpen Roundtop mountain I had snowmobile tracks up the mountain road to the col. Traveling was easy and fun. But, the road from the col up to Roundtop was not broken. I had to break the trail. It wasn't that long, but the snowdrifts were sometimes 6 feet deep! It was a huff-and-puff climb. So, when I returned today, I brought my 30" snowshoes with expectations of breaking the trail to North Bearpen and Bearpen Mountain. I expected to break trail 2-3 miles one-way.

Ski Run Road is a challenge to find. The road does not have a sign. It actually looks like someone's driveway. It isn't plowed. Once you find it, you have to travel up the rough road for 1.1 miles. Since I had a 4wd I had no problem getting close to the trail head. I decided to park 1/10 of the mile from the trail head. The hill up to the standard parking area was very icy and someone had already parked their truck in the ditch. I wanted to hike and not spend my time trying to get out of an ugly situation.

I arrived at 10:30 AM at my designated parking area. I hiked the 1-1/2 miles up the old logging road up to the col. Again, the trail was easy because it was packed down. There was plenty of snow. No rocks poking thru. Very nice snowshoeing. An hour late, I was standing on the large clearing in the col below Bearpen Roundtop Mountain. There was about 1-2 inches of new snow from yesterday.

I was surprised with the trail to North Bearpen and Bearpen Mountain was already packed down. It made my trip easy. I could have taken my 25" snowshoes instead of the my 30" snowshoes. In fact, I could have used my cross-country skies for most of the trip. It was that nice.

The trail from the col to Bearpen Mountain is about 2-1/2 miles long, and the elevation gain is about 200' over 2 miles. Most of the trip is flat with a few easy inclines here-and-there. With the snow last night the trees had rime and snow stuck to them. With the cobalt blue skies, it was absolute beautiful day to be hiking. This trail is a narrow ridge with views over the north or south valley most of the trip. In some regions, the ridge is about 50' wide and you can see over both the south and north valleys. It is an awesome trip on the right day in the Winter. Today was one of those days. The picture listed below is one of those sections where the ridge is thin with views on both sides:

As we traveled further we started to approach North Bearpen Mountain. At this point the sun came out in force, and lit up the trees. When I got to this point, I knew this would be one of the best hikes of the year. If not the best hike. It was heavenly!

When we got to the right spot, we did a side trip up to the top of North Bearpen Mountain. Very few people take the short trip to the top. There is a limited view from the summit. You can see that view here:

We then headed to Bearpen Mountain from North Bearpen Mountain. This stretch of trail was flat and magnificent. There was still snow and rime on the trees, and the sun was out in force. Here is one of the flat stretches:

When we got to the west side of Bearpen Mountain by the pond, we rested for a moment to enjoy the view of the pond against the peak of Bearpen Mountain:

We then climbed the west side of Bearpen Mountain, and took in the views from the ledges:

We then took the rarely traveled path to the east side of the mountain. It is very overgrown, and travel was a little difficult. The trail needs to be pruned back. We then arrived at the east side where some of the old ski slopes still have views:

After looking at the multiple northeast side, we traveled up to the final summit. Sort of boring, but still the summit. But, today I was spoiled with a fantastic trail with so many views on a perfect day.

I then took a trip over to the southeast side where there is still a view. The brush, trees, and prickers were very thick, and travel was difficult. I would not go here in the summer, unless you like massive patches of prickers. Here is a picture of that view:

We then headed back to the car. But now, some of the snow and rime was melting off the trees. I stopped for lunch and a quick break. The trip was nice. I arrived at my 4wd truck around 4 PM. It was a great day that I will remember for quite some time to come.

On the way up the mountain, we did see some fresh Bobcat tracks following a rabbit. We saw a number of grouses.

Please note: to get up to the trail head in the Winter, you need a 4wd and limited snow on the road. You can hike from Rt 2, but this will add 1.1 miles (one-way) to your hike. It is probably one of the best cross country skiing trails in the Catskills.
Last edited by mike on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave

Re: Bearpen Mtns from Ski Run Road

Unread post by dave »

What an awesome hike! Never been over there. I looked at the new Hiking section on the hike. Going to have to put this hike on my list.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

What a great trip! Not sure I could get up Ski Run Road. Wish I could have joined you.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Here is the link to the hiking page: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/BWF-bearpen.html

It is probably one of the best hikes I have done in the past year.
Levi

Unread post by Levi »

Very nice hike description. I did Bearpen and Vly from the south by way of
Johnson Hollow Rd. Would like to try this route in the Fall. Was wondering why
you didnt just follow the old road up to where it crosses over the ridge tween
Roundtop and North Bearpen and then follow ridge to Bearpen? Is the road overgrown?
Or is this a marked DEC trail ? I actually dont have any maps of Delaware Co, so was
using Topozone.com.............thanx, Levi
mike

Unread post by mike »

There are a whole bunch of ways to get to the mountaintop. But, Ski Run Road and Heisinger Road are the only places where you can park legally on State property. I have been told that Rt 3 on the south side is now state land. Maybe they have an easement. But, parking in the Winter can be quite difficult. You can also take Rt 3 from the north side. But, this too goes across private land.

The Ski Run Road will bring you up in between North Bearpen and Roundtop. But, it comes out closer to Roundtop. There are a lot of side roads off Ski Run Road. More then what is on the maps. I like the hike from Ski Run Road to Bearpen Mtn in the Winter. When the rime is on the trees and the sun is shining, the view is spectacular. The run is about 2 miles long on fairly flat land. Just a nice walk in the Winter.

I think this mtn range is much easier and nicer when the leaves are not on the trees. Lots of thick trees, brush, and prickers in the summer. But, people have told me that it can be quite nice in the Summer also. There are a lot of hunters up there, so you always have to be a little careful. Lots of skiers and snowmobilers in the Winter.