If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Halcott 11/3/12 (Snow!)

Halcott Mtn, Rose, Sleeping Lion Mtn, South Vly Mtn
Jon

Halcott 11/3/12 (Snow!)

Unread post by Jon »

So it looks like winter has finally rolled in. Hope you guys brace tight up there for this week's Nor-easter. Gather supplies, fuel, food, and board games =). I enjoy hiking in the winter a bit more. It's quieter, the light is at a lower angle, and I think the black and white makes for some great photography. Sometimes the fall gets a bit too flashy.
I met up with Trunks at the parking lot on rt 42 at about 10, and it was actively snowing when we got there. It never really stopped the entire day. This was summit #33 for me, and #35 for trunks.

I had arrived a bit early, and took some shots of the waterfall by the parking lot

Even though it was snowing, there wasn't much sticking at the lower elevations. Some was starting to accumulate on the conifer grove that we were hiking through.

We followed a stream up almost the entire way, and then when that tapered off, pretty much went straight up to the summit. Some of the pitches were a bit steep and I didn't have the camera out much. I turned around and snapped this shot of Jesse (Trunk's friend) who was our guide to the top.

Trunks waiting at one of the many leveled off portions for a breather.

The summit was only .3 miles away, but we still had 500 feet to climb. It didn't' take much, but the snow made the angles a bit slippery. We reached the summit by about noonish, and I had ham sandwich. Here's the summit canister with 3 inches of snow.

Summit shot

The sun eventually did come out for a brief moment, and there was a hint of blue in the sky.

Making our way back down the valley

One of my favorite parts is just above the parking area, there was a rock wall here at one point which people have reconstructed into a series of a few dozen cairns. They are hiding all over, and some are almost 3 or 4 feet tall.

Back to the stream above the falls.

And finally another shot of the waterfall before heading back to Jersey.
mike

Re: Halcott 11/3/12 (Snow!)

Unread post by mike »

Nice hike and great pics. Halcott is always best in the winter months. In the Summer it is infested with prickers. In the summer we call it Hellcott.
TrunksWD

Re: Halcott 11/3/12 (Snow!)

Unread post by TrunksWD »

It was a fun hike. My microspikes would have helped, but it never got too bad coming back down.

Here are a couple of shots I took.

Signing in. Only 4 to go!