If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

BIG Indian/Fir, Oct 8

Balsam Mtn (3602), Beaver Kill Range, Big Indian Mtn, Eagle, Hayes, Hirams Knob, Fir, Hemlock, High Falls Ridge, Mongaup, Sand Pond Mtn, Spruce, Willowemoc, Winnisock Lake Mt,
traprocker

BIG Indian/Fir, Oct 8

Unread post by traprocker »

It was supposed to be a cloudy day so I headed over to the Biscuit Brook TH for a hike into the “viewless range”. After a brief, stiff ascent, it was an easy 45 minutes to the lean-to. After the brook crossing, I stayed on the trail to Big Indian- the climb was pleasant with a brook to the side, some impressive trees and a few ledges. I was hoping to do Eagle but after I spotted Fir Mtn through the trees, I decided there would not be enough time, it looked pretty far off. The sun was out but once at the 3500 foot mark, clouds rolled overhead and a stiff wind blew over Big Indian’s gnarled, forested shoulder. I reached the canister in 2:15. After the leaving the summit towards the col, I got disoriented and ended up on a rock with a nice view of the Slide-Table area. The foliage peak is fading fast.

The trip across the col was difficult with ledge bands, dense balsam thickets and beech branch “fencing”. I should of brought safety glasses as i got whipped across the face and eye. I found a footpath in the divide then quickly lost it due to downed leaves and ended up a on a rock with a view down the Biscuit Brook valley. I ambled up, went in circles on the broad north summit, then found a path to the south, true summit and the canister. It took 1:50 to go across the col to the Fir canister. From the summit, I followed a footpath southwest but lost it at a ledge drop, then pushed down to the stream, hitting the marked trail above the lean-to (40 mins). I stopped at the lean-to for a much needed rest- nice spot- then back to the TH. Total time 6hr. 30 mins. No one else around- last name in register was on Oct. 5., Slide PA was empty too, a few cars at Giant Ledge PA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike

Re: BIG Indian/Fir, Oct 8

Unread post by mike »

Never seen this view point. Nice find. The trip from Big Indian to Fir has been known as "difficult". Most people have a hard time in the Winter because it drifts with snow, and makes it difficult to get across the col. If you travel from Fir along the ledge, I think that there is another view point there. But, very few people ever go that way.

Looks like you had a good time. Nice trip report!