If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Balsam Mountain

Balsam Mtn (3602), Beaver Kill Range, Big Indian Mtn, Eagle, Hayes, Hirams Knob, Fir, Hemlock, High Falls Ridge, Mongaup, Sand Pond Mtn, Spruce, Willowemoc, Winnisock Lake Mt,
mike

Balsam Mountain

Unread post by mike »

On Saturday Alexis and I headed over to Big Indian region. We decided to hike Balsam Mountain. It is usually a nice moderate hike. There is a nice view from the top. Neither of us had been there since Hurricane Irene. Didn't really know what to expect. As we moved down the trail, it was obvious that Hurricane Irene had done a lot of damage. We also found a new bridge put in by the DEC. But, as soon as you get across the bridge, you are stuck. the trail ends in the middle of the creek with down trees everywhere. We back tracked and hiked up on the ridge, and got around the mess. But, there were lots of people lost or they turned back.

We then hiked up the hill to the junction to Bellayre. We then headed towards to Balsam Mtn. We then hiked up the steep hill and head towards Balsam. Soon enough we were on the summit. We stopped at the overlook and had lunch. We then headed down the mountain. The stream crossing were interesting. The last one was the most difficult. It was a nice day in the woods.

New DEC bridge

Trail to the summit - Balsam Mtn in the background

Alexis and I at 3500' mark

Balsam Mountain Overlook

Summit of Balsam Mountain

Typical view of the trail

The second bridge on the trail

Trilliums blooming
mtnclimber

Re: Balsam Mountain

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Didn't know that they still had damage from Hurricane Irene. When are they going to fix the trail, and how did you get around it? How bad are the water crossings?

Views looked good. Nice to see that the steel A post bridge survived. Haven't been over there recently.
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

Okay, they built a new bridge, but the path is washed away after the bridge?
Sam

Unread post by Sam »

Great shot of the trillium! I hiked balsam back in january...seems like last week. What a change in the display of scenery.
mike

Unread post by mike »

We hiked up on the bank. There is a new trail that is flagged, but hasn't been cut yet. The water crossing weren't terrible, but you could get your feet wet. We threw some stones in where there was problems.

Yeah, great bridge. Not sure why they didn't finish the job by cutting a new trail. Maybe an hour of work?

Thanks Jon for the comments on the trillium. Yeah, it looks so much different in the winter. I actually like it better with snow, but the stream crossing can be challenging with icy rocks.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

mike wrote:
Thanks Jon for the comments..
hadn't commented yet but yes I love that pic. Were they facing down? I thought I saw some dark purple flower drooping last week on slide, is that what I missed?
Sam

Unread post by Sam »

Hey, has anybody encountered a white trillium, durig their catskill rambles?
bousquet19

Unread post by bousquet19 »

Sam, I haven't seen any white trilliums in the Catskills, only the red trilliums and the painted trilliums (= white with red-striped throats). My guess is that the true white trilliums (T. grandiflora) require a more nutrient-rich soil than what most of the Catskills provides.

(I don't mean to hijack this thread, but Sam asked a good question!)

Woody
Sam

Unread post by Sam »

Woody, Thanks for your response...I too have seen the painted trillium and purple trillium growing prolifically in the Catskills. The latter more so than the former. While we're on the subject of flowers....How about lady slippers? I read an essay by John Burroughs who explains in thorough detail that he found a few growing in a "swampy" area near Slabsides. I wonder if some of the lower elevations of the Catskill park are home to the lady slipper. In any event Happy trails....
-Sam

I don't intend on cluttering this thread. But it's all relative isn't it? A picture of a trillium that was posted kind of sparked a discussion based upon said flower.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Found on the trail to Table/Peekamoose from Denning Road this weekend.
You don't see them very often.