If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Balsam Mountain

Balsam Mtn (3602), Beaver Kill Range, Big Indian Mtn, Eagle, Hayes, Hirams Knob, Fir, Hemlock, High Falls Ridge, Mongaup, Sand Pond Mtn, Spruce, Willowemoc, Winnisock Lake Mt,
bikenhike

Re: Balsam Mountain

Unread post by bikenhike »

I have seen the white trilliums, like mike has in the picture. But, they are pretty rare.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

I think those are the painted, the whites don't have the purple in the center.

I saw a bunch of Painted Trillium 3000 ft+ all over Friday Mountain this weekend.

mike

Unread post by mike »

For some reason I thought that Painted Trilliums were the same as Great White Trilliums. I guess I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

Now I will be on a quest to find the Great White Trilliums.

I also learned that ants transport the seeds, and help with germination. Pretty interesting stuff.
Sam

Unread post by Sam »

Mike, That is interesting to know that the ants are responsible for the transportation of the Trillium seeds. They are a very beautiful flower to behold this time of year, while on a walk in the woods. I also love the mountain azaleas. They're a rare find in my book. I came across some in bloom today, during a drive near the Vernooy Kill State Forest. Pretty soon the Jack in the Pulpit will be fully grown..Also an interesting Catskill/Northeastern flower.