If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Fir Mountain - February 6, 2010

Balsam Mtn (3602), Beaver Kill Range, Big Indian Mtn, Eagle, Hayes, Hirams Knob, Fir, Hemlock, High Falls Ridge, Mongaup, Sand Pond Mtn, Spruce, Willowemoc, Winnisock Lake Mt,
mike

Fir Mountain - February 6, 2010

Unread post by mike »

When I got up this morning I was not sure which mountain I wanted to do. But, in the end, I decided on Fir Mountain in the Big Indian Wilderness Area. I headed to the Biscuit Brook parking area just south of Slide Mountain PA on Rt 47. When I got there, the parking lot was empty. It looked like I would have the mountain to myself.

I headed out at 10 am, and the snow was thin and the rocks were poking thru in many areas. Sort of sucked. I used my microspikes to get up the hill. Once on top, I put my snowshoes on, and headed into the valley. Traveling went quick. Was going at 2 mph, which is good for me. Found the lean-to. Looks like a nice one next to Biscuit creek. Then headed out.

After the stream, I took a right and started to bushwack up the hill. The climb really wasn't very bad. Easier then I had imagined. Only one steep section which wasn't that bad. Got to the top at 1 PM at a mileage at of 4.05. thought about heading over to Big Indian, but didn't think I had enough of time. Reports were that the snow drifts in the col were very deep.

Headed back. Was easy going downhill. Hit the trail and headed back. When I was about 1 mile from the car, I took a break and has something to eat. Nothing much, but it gave me a little more energy. Got back to the car around 3:30 pm.

When I got to Rt 28, I saw a hiker walking down the road. Gave her a ride to Phoenicia. She said that she lived in NYC, and came up on weekends. Doesn't own a car. A rough way to go hiking.

It was sunny all day, and the wind was nice. Some people might think that it was cold, but I comfortable all day.

dave

Re: Fir Mountain - February 6, 2010

Unread post by dave »

Nice report mike. Look forward to seeing it on-line. Never realized how easy the climb is. Saturday was such a nice day for hiking. Looks like you had a great time.

You also did Hawkeye on Sunday. Look forward to hearing about that hike. Did you go to Poet's Ledge while you were there? How was the snow?
mike

Re: Fir Mountain - February 6, 2010

Unread post by mike »

No, I didn't go to Poet's Ledge. Poet's Ledge should be visited in the morning. It was noon-time by the time I reached the top. It was already too late. My objective was Hawkeye, so that is the route I took.

The snow could be deeper.