If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Big Indian Ridge 6/30/15

Balsam Mtn (3602), Beaver Kill Range, Big Indian Mtn, Eagle, Hayes, Hirams Knob, Fir, Hemlock, High Falls Ridge, Mongaup, Sand Pond Mtn, Spruce, Willowemoc, Winnisock Lake Mt,
Jon

Big Indian Ridge 6/30/15

Unread post by Jon »

So my buddy needed to bag Balsam (non-winter) summit and also Fir for his 3500 club progress. We decided an overnight on the ridge would be fun, and we could incorporate in Eagle and also Big Indian. He needed Graham as well but I said that was a little out of the way seeing as how there's a Doubletop in the way. The plan was to camp on the ridge maybe around Eagle. We would hike summit Balsam first, and then head south along the ridge to a car we would spot on Biscuit Brook trailhead. I wound up getting stuck working in the lab until late so we didn't get to meet up until 6:30pm at Biscuit Brook for the car drop. From there we drove up rte. 47 to McKinley Hollow to start the hike.

I actually had never been here and my friend Mike had climbed it for the winter summit. He said it was mighty steep and since we had barely a few hours of daylight left we decided to camp at the McKinley lean-to, forgo the tents, and head up to the ridge in the morning.

McKinley Hollow near dusk

After working for 7 hours, driving for 3 hours, and hiking for 30 minutes I'm ready for bed

Glad the fire-ban is over!

In the morning we got up with the bird shrill before 5, and then I couldn't get back to sleep. We started moving around by 5:45 and got breakfast going. We filled up on water for the long day we had ahead of us. Since we camped at the base of the mountain we now had to climb all 4 peaks, and hike the entire length of the ridge in one day.

McKinley Hollow has some really nice elevation gain right after the lean-to. It crosses the stream and then takes you up past some stairs and some switchbacks.

From McKinley we dropped our packs and headed up to Balsam summit with just water and my camera.

Balsam summit

Once on top we headed over to our only anticipated viewpoint for the day and found out we were in the depths of a cloud =*(

After returning to our backpacks we shouldered the load and headed up Haynes mountain. This was a spot I had never been to and the ferns were in full presentation. I enjoyed this side of Eagle more than I remember any other of my climbs up Eagle. There were some really cool rock formations and a nice little balsam fir forest after passing 3500.

3500 sign on the north/east side of Eagle

Summit of Eagle:

After summiting we headed over to the col and then up Big Indian. I decided to start the bushwack 1/2 mile early, and instead of heading all the way around the false summit, down and then up, we just cut right through to the top. The vegetation was extremely wet and thick and I was glad I brought long pants.

Bushwacking on Big Indian:

Summit canister on Big Indian:

From Big Indian we had to make it across the col to Fir. I had also never been in this particular spot in the Catskills since I had only ever climbed Fir from the Biscuit Brook. On the way down to the col we encountered several cliffs, some thick vegetation, and a few obstacles. The first was a series of cliffs near the summit of Big Indian. There was a couple that were at least 20 feet but it looked like an easy descent according to topographic maps. Also there were several very flat spots. These can be just as dangerous as the steep parts, since without any visual landmarks it is hard to walk in a straight line on flat spot.

Further along there was a small "knob" of about 10 feet of elevation gain which we started walking around until I said it was silly and we decided to go up and over. The next issue was toward the edge of that limb, before the final descent into the col there was a thick patch of Firs with a clearing in the middle. This clearing was bare rock and there was a small cairn on it. I called it a "campsite" but who knows? From here there were two apparent paths, to the left and to the right. After heading out of the "campsite" we started going down too many cliffs and were descending down the wrong side and would miss the col. I had to re-route us back across the limb and into the col. Just a warning to people working without GPS that it can get very dicey with navigation when there are full foliage cover, as we had no landmarks for navigation.
A map of the bushwack:

From the col up Fir it's actually pretty easy. There are few if any cliffs, and the elevation gain is mostly slight.

"Censorship on Fir"

After this summit I knew the way, and that it was all downhill, I forgot about the wet seeps on the southern side of Fir but we just tromped around them and then down to the Biscuit Brook. This was one of the best sights of that day:

"Civilization"

Take a hike!

Total hike was around 14 miles, including 4 miles of bushwacking. I don't know how much time it took as we had lots of breaks, the overnight. We finished by 1:30pm on Saturday.

-jon
mtnclimber

Re: Big Indian Ridge 6/30/15

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Too bad you guys didn't have a good view from Balsam. It is a very nice view. Sounds like a nice hike. Knocking off 4 summits in one day is good!

In the winter bushwhacking from Big Indian to Fir can be quite a challenge. Snow fills up the col, and make it quite difficult. In the summer you have to contend with a sea of vegetation.

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Thanks for sharing.