If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Eagle Mt and Big Indian Mt

Balsam Mtn (3602), Beaver Kill Range, Big Indian Mtn, Eagle, Hayes, Hirams Knob, Fir, Hemlock, High Falls Ridge, Mongaup, Sand Pond Mtn, Spruce, Willowemoc, Winnisock Lake Mt,
BillyM

Eagle Mt and Big Indian Mt

Unread post by BillyM »

I hiked Eagle and Big Indian Mts on 7/2/17 from Seager.
Started on the Yellow trail. The trail crosses the Shandakan Brook a few times. The trail is pretty overgrown up to little after the Seager Lean To.
The trail isn't very well marked and looks like it borders someones land. But I didn't see any signs and it looks like there has been recent four wheel drive vehicles on the trails and along the brook.
There is a very big dead tree standing near the Seager Lean To that looks like its going to fall right on it.
Anyways, I made a left on the Pine Hill West Branch toward Eagle Mt. Found the herd path and took a snack at the summit.
Made my way back down to the col and headed toward Big Indian Mt. Started descending down and realized I must have missed the herd path to the canister. Retraced my steps and still didn't see it so I decided to descend again and finally saw the herd path to the canister. Very steep climb up. Had another snack and headed back to the car. The brook was almost a small waterfall in one spot and spilled into about 4-5 ft deep pool. I wish I had a towel with me post hike. Otherwise it was a good clear day. Glad I made it back to the car, it down poured about 30 mins after even though it was sunny all day. Clouds came in quick.
I was hoping to run into someone that was going to to do either Doubletop or Fir but no luck. Big Indian puts me at 26/35. Thanks for reading :)
Rough times:
9:45am Start
11:38 Col between Eagle and Big Indian Mts
12:07 Eagle Summit
12:28 Leave Eagle Summit
12:55 Col Between Eagle and Big Indian Mts
2:20 Big Indian Summit
2:30 Leave Big Indian Summit
3:10 Col
3:30 Seager Lean To
3:45 Leave Lean To
4:40 Car
Jon

Re: Eagle Mt and Big Indian Mt

Unread post by Jon »

BillyM wrote: There is a very big dead tree standing near the Seager Lean To that looks like its going to fall right on it.
Maybe if it falls it will aerate it a bit and get some of that smell out! =P
BillyM wrote: Started descending down and realized I must have missed the herd path to the canister. Retraced my steps and still didn't see it so I decided to descend again and finally saw the herd path to the canister. Very steep climb up.
Yeah I don't get that summit trail. I usually will cut straight across from the highest elevation of the trail. It goes over a small false-summit and then down (maybe 1 or 2 contours), and then up again. It is much more straightforward. I hate losing elevation to gain it again if I don't have too.

-jon