If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

First snow and/or snowstorm this weekend??

Report or discuss current events in the Catskill Mountains.
mtnclimber

Re: First snow and/or snowstorm this weekend??

Unread post by mtnclimber »

weather.gov is calling for a rain/snow mix on Friday. Winter is almost here. Some people were hiking in short-sleeve shorts last weekend, and next weekend, it might me snow.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Sounds like we are going to get a little bit of the white stuff tonight. Probably not much, and it probably will not stay long. But, it is the first sign of Winter. Maybe I should think about getting my snowshoes in the back of the car.
mike

Unread post by mike »

We have not had a real cold Winter in a while. Had some good snowstorms. I remember back in the 60's when it was colder and we had more snow. I guess it's time for a weather cycle change. Thanks Greg for the information.
arnst19

Unread post by arnst19 »

such bad timing for me :( I'm coming to Catskills for the first time 11/1-11/3 and had planned on doing some of Devil's Path, Becker Hollow Trail, Slide Mountain, etc but now it looks like you guys are getting up to a food of snow.

I grew up in Boston but have lived in Los Angeles for the last 4 years and have done all the hikes out here. Since I had to go to NYC anyway, I figured I'd do a detour to Catskills because I had never been there before. Granted it is past the foliage prime but still I was excited.

Now with the snow, I have no idea what to do when I'm up there. I really wanted to do challenging hikes but now it sounds like I might have to do more flat hikes, maybe do Kaaterskill.

Any suggestions/snow updates etc would be MUCH appreciated, I'm not sure what I should do.