If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Storm #3 - Jan 18/19, 2011

Report or discuss current events in the Catskill Mountains.
dave

Storm #3 - Jan 18/19, 2011

Unread post by dave »

This week we received another snow storm. But, instead of fluffy snow, we received a mixture of everything. The mountaintop received 6-12 inches of snow along with a liberal douse of freezing rain and sleet. Schools were closed for two days while the roads were cleaned up. Traveling was very difficult. When I traveled into work this morning the rime was spectacular. We had a lot of freezing rain stick to the trees and then we got a little snow to stock to them. The sparkling ride in this morning was memorable. Here some pictures I took on Friday January 20, 2011:

Rt 23 - just west of Catskill, but before Cairo

Rt 23 - just west of Cairo - junction of Rt 145/23 - Windham High Peak in the far distance

Rt 23 - just west of Cairo on Rt 23 - Blackhead now "Whitehead" because of the Rime

Rt 23 - just west of Cairo on Rt 23 - Blackhead now "Whitehead" because of the Rime

Rt 23 - just west of Cairo on Rt 23 - Acra Point
Mike G

Re: Storm #3 - Jan 18/19, 2011

Unread post by Mike G »

Although treacherous to travel in, Mother Nature sure paints a beautiful picture. Thanx for the photos.
bikenhike

Re: Storm #3 - Jan 18/19, 2011

Unread post by bikenhike »

It is amazing that the tree rime lasted all the way to the weekend. I guess it was cold enough :)