If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

South Mtn / Pisgah Forest Timber Sold

Report or discuss current events in the Catskill Mountains.
dave

South Mtn / Pisgah Forest Timber Sold

Unread post by dave »

The DEC has conducted another Forest Timber sale at the South Mountain Access. This will also included part of the timber on Pisgah Mountain. Many people had objected to the DEC cutting the beautiful conifer forest on Pisgah Mountain. We don't know if the DEC plans on replanting trees where the timber has been harvested. Presently, you cannot hike in this region while loggers are stripping the forest.
Birdman

Re: South Mtn / Pisgah Forest Timber Sold

Unread post by Birdman »

I hiked Mt. Pisgah two springs ago. As the Catskill trails have gotten busier I look for quieter areas. This was beautiful hike. What a shame. Regards, Ed
mike

Unread post by mike »

I totally agree with you. Pisgah was a beautiful hike. Now it is ruined.
PeterB

Unread post by PeterB »

I'm the maintainer for the section of LP trail on top of Mt. Pisgah. I just exchanged emails with someone at the DEC and was told that the LP trail isn't affected by the timber sale in South Mountain SF. What is your source of information for the boundaries of the timber sale?

Thanks,

Peter
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

the LP doesn't really go into the conifer forest on Pisgah. It just skirts around the corner of it at the summit. So, that should be ok. But, the hike from the summit down through the conifer forest would be closed. Or, at least that is my understanding.