If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

New No Parking Signs in lower Platte Clove

Report or discuss current events in the Catskill Mountains.
mtnclimber

Re: New No Parking Signs in lower Platte Clove

Unread post by mtnclimber »

If I remember, there was a spot that people used to park. How close is it to the greene cty line?

Parking below the bridge caused some people to get towed. Maybe there is a legal spot further down. I don't know.

Parking at the KHP PA is always safe. Don't want a ticket or get towed. Just my opinion. but, I hear what you are saying.
metalmanstan

Unread post by metalmanstan »

So I went down to the lower part of Platte Clove today, so here's an update:

Parked at KHP trailhead and walked down.

Out of all the little small nooks and cranny pull offs down the road to the end of the DEC property, I did not see a single no parking sign except at Hell's Hole and the lookout right before horseshoe bend. But, those places could only fit small cars and you can get your car at least off the pavement. Is that legal then?

Entered at the Becker Hollow road. New 'no trespassing' and 'private property' signs all over the place at the beginning of the trail near Becker Rd and all over the place after you enter. I'm sorry but I am a very personable hiker and I actually brought back two grocery bags of trash from the trip(clothes, towels, beer cans and water bottles).

The point at which you could enter from the state property is very sketchy, with multiple ropes hanging from trees leading you down to the trail near the creek. I would climb up it, but I don't know if I would go down it. It's your basic side wall of the clove: loose dirt and rocks, soon to be leaves. I should of taken pictures of it but I forgot. Sorry!! Mike, it also seems that right after the state land starts the 'Private property' signs. Is this the area that you said was unowned land or is that further down?

I would really love to get a hold of the owners and volunteer my time to help clean up their areas. The trash is not all over the place, but you can see it here and there. That clove is a very special place to me. It is filled with beauty and I really can't get enough of it. If I could get on the locals good side so they know who I am and know that I am responsible, then I'll do it. That place is worth it. If anyone has contacts with the locals I would love to give them a hand in cleaning that beautiful place up. There were names on the 'no trespassing' signs so if anyone could get me there names that would be great. I live in Oneonta so it's a good drive for me to go back. Hopefully this helps and hopefully someone can help me getting some info so I can make it better for those of us who care about these stunning places in the Catskills!!

Stash
mike

Unread post by mike »

the land just below the Greene/Ulster County line is not owned by anyone. Maybe it is owned by the DEC? It is a large parcel. So, maybe 1/4 mile past the county line is where private property begins. You can look on the Ulster County GIS for the owners: http://ulstercountyny.gov/maps/parcel-viewer/
metalmanstan

Unread post by metalmanstan »

Thanks for the link Mike!! This definitely show a lot! Im going to PM you with some of the research that I have done!!
DaveT

Unread post by DaveT »

Mike - thanks for the info. It looks like there is a blue DEC sign on a tree on the north side of the road at your "the farthest you can go" point. Then on a tree trunk on the south side there is a blotch of gray paint on a tree, where you could perhaps descend to the creek. That will help locate the spot in the real world.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Another map of the area is here. The green line through the middle of West Saugerties is the Catskill Park border. The others are the borders of state land. (The green farther up the hill is the right-of-way for the Overlook carriage road.)

https://kbk.is-a-geek.net/catskills/tes ... .0658&z=14
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.