If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hikers struck by Lightning

Report or discuss current events in the Catskill Mountains.
dave

Hikers struck by Lightning

Unread post by dave »

Around 6pm on Mary 16, 2016, two hikers hiking on a trail near Kaaterskill Falls were struck by lightning. They probably were not struck directly, but where close to where the lightning struck the ground, and the ground became energized. Being close to the lightning strike can cause the hikers to go into respiratory and cardiac arrest, which is often fatal if CPR isn't administered. If CPR is administered within minutes of the strike, victims can often be saved.. One of the hikers that was struck by lightning called 911 to request help.

It took EMS crew about 30 minutes to locate the injured hikers. NYS DEC Rangers, Tannersville Fire and Rescue, Haines Fire Dept, Palenville Fire Dept, and ambulance and paramedics responded the call. They were extracted at the bottom of Laurel House Road It took them about 1 hours to extract the hikers. The hikers were transported to Albany Medical Center.

It should be noted that the ridge line from South Mountain down to Kaaterskill Falls and from the Escarpment Trail to North-South Lake Road is well known to experience higher then average lightning strikes.

mike

Re: Hikers struck by Lightning

Unread post by mike »

Something similar happen Glacier National park a year or two ago. Four people went into cardiac arrest. All were revived with CPR. Some of them suffered from other medical problems many months later. Getting near lightning is serious stuff. I have some pictures of trees being hit in that region. One small tree exploded. I'll look for the photos.
GeneralGrizzly

Unread post by GeneralGrizzly »

mike wrote:Something similar happen Glacier National park a year or two ago. Four people went into cardiac arrest. All were revived with CPR. Some of them suffered from other medical problems many months later. Getting near lightning is serious stuff. I have some pictures of trees being hit in that region. One small tree exploded. I'll look for the photos.
Mike, if you were able to locate those pictures, I would enjoy seeing them.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Here is an update from the DEC:

On March 16, at 6:00 p.m. Greene County 911 received a call reporting two people camping near the yellow trail were struck by lightning off of Laurel House Road. The 26-year-old man and 27-year-old woman, both from New Jersey, set up a campsite in a hemlock grove about three-quarters of a mile from the North-South Lake Campground. Lightning struck two hemlock trees located about five feet away from where the two had pitched their tent. Three rangers responded along with the Haines Falls Fire Department, Hunter Ambulance, Tannersville Rescue Squad, Palenville Fire Department and Greene County Emergency Medical Services. Crews set up a command post at a DEC parking area on Schutt Road while responders hiked about a quarter of a mile into the woods amid rain squalls to reach the pair. They carried the man out on a litter with local fire and rescue personnel assisting. The woman walked out to an awaiting utility vehicle after being assessed and was then taken to the command post for further evaluation. An ambulance transported both patients to Albany Medical Center for further evaluation. The woman was released from the hospital on Wednesday night while the man remained in the hospital on Thursday for monitoring.

Lots of Yellow trails in that area, so I am unsure of where they were camping.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Here is a picture of the exploded tree near north-south lake campgrounds on the 3rd ledge:

I also have a picture of a lightning strike that spiraled down the tree on Kaaterskill Mtn range.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

You always see trees hit by lightning on the southern escarpment and south mtn. I think that it is from the clouds passing over the clove, and then coming to higher ground.

Can't figure out where they were camping. Not good being in a tent when lightning hits. Glad they are okay. I think I read somewhere on fb that they are okay, and plan to be out hiking soon.