If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hikers Stranded at Kaaterskill Falls

Report or discuss current events in the Catskill Mountains.
dave

Hikers Stranded at Kaaterskill Falls

Unread post by dave »

Kaaterskill Wild Forest

Rescued hikers: On January 16, 2016, at 6:15 p.m., DEC dispatch received a call from Greene County 911 reporting three male hikers stranded near the top of Kaaterskill Falls. The hikers, all in good health, became stranded due to unsafe trail conditions. Three Forest Rangers responded and set up a rope safety line that allowed the hikers to safely hike up the trail to the top of the falls. The hikers met the Rangers at the top of the falls and then walked out safely on the rail trail.

In the Winter months hikers should ALWAYS carry microspikes. Even when there isn't any snow. Icy conditions can occur anywhere. Hikers have slid off Kaaterskill Falls before, so caution should always be exercised.
Birdman

Re: Hikers Stranded at Kaaterskill Falls

Unread post by Birdman »

Thankful they were eventually safe. As I reported back in December when I first encountered the falls from Laurel House Rd and reported open for only that new trail to the viewing platform. I had hiked to the lower falls first and there were signs not to continue and punishable by law to continue. I wonder where they were climbing from?? Thanks for the post Dave. Regards.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Seems to me that they were climbing from the base to the top. Some of the stairs are installed. Better to get help then slide off the rim.
dundee

Unread post by dundee »

Perhaps they were climbing up the other side from the stairs, towards the dog memorial, IDK.