If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Populations of Deer ticks high this year

Report or discuss current events in the Catskill Mountains.
dave

Populations of Deer ticks high this year

Unread post by dave »

Due to the deep snow pack this past winter, deer ticks are particularly bad this year. Hikers are reporting that they are picking up numerous deer ticks while hiking on trails. They are particularly bad on the eastern side of the Catskills. It is recommended that hikers wear long pants with gaiters while hiking on the Eastern side of the Catskills.

After your hike, you should inspect your entire body in front of a mirror. It should be noted that in the Spring, the nymphs (young ticks) are prevalent. They look like a speck of dirt. If you have something that looks like a speck of dirt that does not come off, suspect a nymph deer tick. If you get a deer tick attached to your skin, you should remove it within 24 hours of the original bite. Use a pair of tweezers to pull off the deer tick. Do not squeeze the tick because it will push the blood back into your body. Grab the deer tick between your skin and the deer tick and pull it off. If you develop a rash or a bull-eye rash, then see your doctor. Or, if you develop flu like symptoms, this can be a sign of Lyme Disease.

For more information: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/animals-ticks.html
dundee

Re: Populations of Deer ticks high this year

Unread post by dundee »

Thanks for that. I would like to add that light colored clothing makes spotting ticks much easier and a shot of bug dope on pants legs doesn't hurt.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Two weeks ago we hiked to Rip's Ledge. I came home with 4 ticks, and my wife had 1 tick. We were wearing light colored pants with DEET spray. I am sure it helped, but we still got some on us. Now, we are also using gaiters. They do make our feet hotter, but no ticks. We also do not sit down.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I think most of them are on the eastern side of the Catskills. But, they are working their way across the park. Heard a number of reports of ticks on the east side. As dundee said, light clothing is good. And, check yourself when you get home.