If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

experience with Sherrill / North Dome / Balsam

Balsam, Hunter, Leavitt Peak, North Dome, Sheridan, Sherrill
daveoleary

experience with Sherrill / North Dome / Balsam

Unread post by daveoleary »

I'm considering a long bushwhack hike from Rt 42 up and over Sherrill, then over to North Dome and back, with a possible side trip to Balsam on the way back.
From looking at the maps and the trip reports, it looks like this is doable but a long day (I'm thinking about late spring). My main question is about the vegetation on the north slopes of Sherrill. It seems that rather than climbing all the way back up Sherrill, it would make sense on the way back over from North Dome to cut around to the north side of Sherrill and then cut up over the northwest shoulder into the col between Sherrill and Balsam. If the herd path(s) between North Dome and Sherrill are pretty well established then maybe back up and over Sherrill is a better route, but if the north side of Sherrill and the ridge and col over to Balsam aren't too ledgy and the forest is pretty open, it should be pretty easy to just cut over more directly toward the col and Balsam.
So I'm just wondering if any of you have wandered around up there very much and can offer insights. Thanks!
daveoleary

Re: experience with Sherrill / North Dome / Balsam

I see that a bunch of folks have seen my post, but no responses yet..... if anyone is up for this hike in the spring let me know and we'll figure out a date although my schedule is pretty full. In the meantime, any hints are welcome.
mike

Unread post by mike »

It has been quite a few years since I have been on Balsam. But, if I remember correctly, the hike from Shirrell and Balsam was pretty easy. But, only in the Winter months to avoid the vegetation.

The hike up from Rt 42 to Sherrill is easy. The hardest part is the very beginning. Much easier to hike from the NE corner of Sherrill down to the col and up to North Dome. That path should be pretty easy. I don't recall a herd path up North Dome. I like to hike up on the southern side of North Dome once I hit the col.

Not sure about the north side of Balsam. I don't think I have gone there before.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

1st that balsam isn't a 3500 peak. 2nd, where you start on 42 is way south of the col. 3 it is always better to climb back up and over. strafing on those slopes (walking along a contour) is painful on the ankles after a while. I made the mistake last time of doing the hike starting at Devil's path terminus, climbing up north dome, then down to sherill then instead of back over north dome we went across the north slope of north dome. It took so much longer, and was more difficult to find a path. You can only follow cliffs for so long then you either have to go up or down.

I suggest going back the way you came.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Camp Timber Lake has a private trail up to North Dome from the south. I have contact information, but have never inquired whether it's possible to get permission to hike from that direction. I understand that their path visits two good overlooks and has a couple of nice campsites.

When you read their marketing literature, they make it sound as if they own the mountain. Hah.

North Dome is a bit of a bugbear for me, because my stepfather's father died there in 1940. I've yet to attempt it.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
daveoleary

Thanks for the hints / tips. I agree that walking along a contour can sometimes be tough but also sometimes there is a nice ledge and it is pretty easy to walk along for at least a few hundred feet without too much trouble. And sometimes back up and over can be tough especially if there is a lot of thick spruce / fir on top, and it is sometimes easier to walk through the deciduous forest if there isn't too much blowdown and undergrowth. From the maps and the photos in the hike description it looks like the east sides of both ND and Sherrill are the steep/ledgy parts, and I figured once I'm up there it would be interesting to hit Balsam, especially since the SE side of Sherrill looks like it is the steepest face. And I don't mind walking around on peaks under 3500' :-)

thanks!