If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hunter from Becker Hollow

Balsam, Hunter, Leavitt Peak, North Dome, Sheridan, Sherrill
mike

Hunter from Becker Hollow

Unread post by mike »

Started out late in the morning, so I decided on hiking Hunter Mtn from Rt 214 at Becker Hollow. It has 2200' of vertical. It is reported to be the steepest hike to Hunter. But in reality, it is not as steep as the Devil's Path in Stony Clove. The temperature was around 60 degrees. Hiked all day in a tee shirt. Shorts would have been better. Will not see these kind of temperatures until Spring. Today, I hiked alone.

The hike starts out on level ground. Once you get to the dam, the grade moves up to a moderate grade. This continues until you get to around 3400', where it moves up to a difficult grade. The grade is surprisingly the same all the way up. It doesn't seem to change.

Once you start to cross the hollow, the trail becomes narrow and rocky. Then near the top it becomes more difficult, but nothing terrible.

Took the loop trail, which is very nice. It comes out near the horse boarding ramp.

When I arrived the clouds moved in, so there was no view. After waiting for a while, the clouds cleared out, and we had a nice clear view from the fire tower. The wind picked up on the summit, and it got cool. I was actually a little cold.

Meet a few people, and had a nice conversation.

Headed back, and stopped at the view point at the 4-corners. Took a few pictures and headed back.

The trip down went well.
mtnclimber

Re: Hunter from Becker Hollow

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Sorry I could not join you. I had heard that this route was the hardest way to get to the top? From your report, that is not the case. I look forward to seeing the route posted on the web site.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Back in the 1970's there was a guide book that claimed that the hike up Becker Hollow was the hardest way to get to Hunter. I don't think that it is the hardest. But, it does have the highest vertical. About 2200'. It has a moderate grade until you get close to the top. The last part is difficult. The hike from Stony Clove is steeper and harder. But, the vertical is less. Semantics.

I should also note that I really liked the small little loop. Especially the lower loop that comes out near the horse loading ramp. Not sure I would drink out of the water pipe without filtering it.
dave

Unread post by dave »

I didn't expect you to do Hunter. You were talking about Wittenberg, Peekamoose, Rusk, and Tremper. I have always avoided this route due to it's reputation as very difficult. Glad to see that myth is busted.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I got a late start, so I decided to scale down the hike. It was really a last minute decision. I had serious considered Tremper, but I knew that the Rattlesnakes would be out (and hard to see), so this is how this mtn got skipped. the other two were too long of a hike for starting so late. I also thought that the visibility would be poor. As it turned out, the visibility was very good. So go figure?

My foot has been bothering me after I ripped open the skin on my big toe. Not sure this hike helped to heal it. It ripped open again.
dave

Unread post by dave »

I got your hike posted in the Hiking Section. Looks good!
mike

Unread post by mike »

Looks nice. Thanks!
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I have never done this route. Everyone told me that it is extremely difficult. Your reports tells a different story. Thanks for the information. I will have to try it someday.
alexis

Unread post by alexis »

I honestly prefer the Hunter Loop trail from Spruceton valley. If I was young maybe I would try it.