If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Rusk, East Rusk, Hunter

Balsam, Hunter, Leavitt Peak, North Dome, Sheridan, Sherrill
Jon

Rusk, East Rusk, Hunter

Unread post by Jon »

The forecast was for 60s and rain. We got to the trail and started off about noon.

We made it to the intersection between East Rusk and Hunter Mountain, and we dropped our packs in the wet bushes. We took some water and made our way through the wet prickers.

Trail up East rusk was marked with some red and blue tape. We basically made a bee-line up the ridge, and only saw the tape when we were right on top of a piece.

Somewhere near the summit of East Rusk

Summit canister on Rusk

What Rusk did to Frank's Legs. I had gaiters on with shorts, so I only got torn up on my knees and arms.

Taking a break in the clouds after getting back to our packs and back on the trail

Filling up water at the spring

Through the lemon squeezer to the Lean-to

Since it rained for two days straight, we decided it wouldn't be too dangerous to have a fire. It actually took a while to get it going, but once we did, we started to dry everything out.

While we were collecting fire wood we ran into another backpacker from NJ. We offered for him to stay with us at the lean-to since it was getting dark and we already had the fire going. I slept like a rock.

And was up for Sunrise from. A pic of me looking at westkill at the John Robb Viewpoint

Rusk, Westkill and the Spruceton Valley

Hunter Mountain Fire tower from the Spruceton trail

We were going to head over to South West Hunter, but decided to skip it since we had gotten a late start. We didn't want to get back home too late. We took the yellow trail down to the Devil's path and headed west down past geiger point toward Spruceton.

The Devil's Path on the west side of Hunter is so overgrown with nettles and everything. I had to put my gaiters on since it was almost as bad as Rusk.

Actual shot of the devil's Path. Can't even see where we're putting our feet.

A billion nettles dominate the forest

The diamond notch falls.

Had a bit of a roadwalk before we got back to the car.
kennykb

Re: Rusk, East Rusk, Hunter

Unread post by kennykb »

Looks as if you had a great trip! We ran into one other group who were planning the Rusk/Hunter/SW Hunter loop. None of us went for SW Hunter. Rusk kicked everyone's arse.

Thanks for the warning about the nettles on the Devil's Path. Maybe I'll wait for the frost before I try again for SW Hunter. ;)

I'm trying to make up my mind what the next hike should be. Something a little more relaxing. Maybe Balsam Lake Mtn, with a possible side trip to Graham (assuming that we get permission from the caretaker of the Gould estate.)
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Nice trail report. Rusk is easy when the leaves are not on the tree. Not so easy this time of the year. The John Robb Lean-to is in a very nice spot, and your pictures looked real nice.

Leavitt Mtn is pretty easy hike. The trail is usually better then the official DEC trails. The trail by Geiger Point looks real bad. Wow! We were there about a month ago. Saw a Saw-Whet Owl right on the trail.

Most people leave the trail-less peaks for the Winter months. Makes it so much easier.

At least it wasn't hot.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

No it wasn't hot which is ironic after a heat wave when it's been over 100. I woke up for the sunrise cause it was in the low 40's brrrrr. Haven't been that cold in months can say that for sure.

I'm glad it did rain though, since it made everything nice and wet we were able to have a fire without worrying about burning the place down. On top of that the springs were flowing really nicely so we could douse the fire and fill up our water without having to worry. We did get soaked running through the brush on Rusk, but I dunno if that makes it "hard" or "easy" I will say that it makes it fun.

Winter hikes are harder for me cause of the distance to travel and the fact there's less daylight. I've only got trailess peaks left, and I'm gonna try to finish everything up by this winter.