If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

John Robb spring

Balsam, Hunter, Leavitt Peak, North Dome, Sheridan, Sherrill
Jon

John Robb spring

Unread post by Jon »

I see there is a spring by the John rob lean to on the map. I plan on going there over night this weekend.

Anyone been by there recently and seen spring water flow?

I was by the spring on the east side of hunter on the yellow trail a few weeks ago and it was only a trickle. I have a feeling it will be even less this weekend.
kennykb

Re: John Robb spring

Unread post by kennykb »

I just came over here to ask the same question. I'm heading over that way myself.

Failing the spring, is water available at the developed area atop Colonel's Chair, or would it be necessary to hike all the way back down to the brook?
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
mike

Unread post by mike »

There are two springs by the John Robb Lean-to. Both always seem to flow. But, these are unusual times.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

thanks mike, i'll guess we'll keep our fingers crossed
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Hey, Jon, thanks for breaking trail for me up Rusk! (I saw your name in the registers at trailhead and summit.) You led me right to the break in the ledge below the summit ridge, that I'd have had to search longer for on my own.

Daughter and I got off to a late start, and neither of us had been up there before, so we totally missed the herd path until we were about 300 feet from the canister. We were a little too far south, moving parallel to it. It was NO FUN pushing through all the blackberries. That took us long enough that we wound up spending the night on the ridge on East Rusk. (We fell off to the south of that, too.) In the morning, the hip belt buckle on my backpack gave way about the 3200 foot level on the way up to John Robb. With all of that, we were In No Mood (tm) and decided to leave Hunter and SW Hunter for another trip. Just walked back to the car. It felt like one of those days when pushing on will just get you in trouble.

First trailless peak for both of us, and we did it without someone who'd been there before.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

Wow that's really cool. Yah I am still tired from our trip, I'm gonna post a report in a bit.

We went to the intersection in between Hunter and East Rusk and we went straight west across east rusk and rusk. There was soo many prickers. My brother in law who I was with got tore up since he was wearing shorts. We were stomping everything down that we could, but it still shredded any part of bare skin we had. We got back to our packs at the intersection and stumbled up to the John Robb and spent the night. Then we went over hunter and skipped sw hunter and went back to the car.

That must have been really crappy to crash on east rusk. That place was so wet, my stuff is still not dry even after hanging all my clothes and having a fire. How did you find anywhere that wasn't just thick prickers? The summit was completely destroyed by irene too.

***And an update on the springs, The one on the spruceton trail by the bucket at 3300 feet or so was a small trickle, but filled a liter in about a minute. The other spring that is .2 away (although 100 feet lower, and difficult in flip-flops) from the John Robb lean-to following the yellow trail west was flowing much better and was fresh and cold. Guess the rain for 2 days helped a bit.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

We'd gone up the ridge in Ox Hollow (between the two streams). I guess it was someone else breaking trail for us, we saw broken blackberries here and there all the way up, and found a break in the ledge by following them.

We followed you down the ridge, but lost your track and wandered way south into the steep stuff. Basically, we crashed on a rock about 5 feet by 8, which was the first place we'd seen in a half-hour that offered even a plausible spot. Even at that, I just hung a rain fly and spread a ground sheet; I didn't want the prickers ripping up the bug netting on my tent!

What really stank (besides us, being soaking wet really brings out the hiker funk) was that there are no water sources up there. We were still adequately hydrated by the time we got back down to Hunter Brook, but had maybe a quart of water between us.

If we do it again, we'll be able to do it in less than half the time. We have a better idea what to look for. I'm in no hurry. We've bagged this one, and still have twenty-odd more to go.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Oh, and a postscript: I'm really glad we didn't drop packs for the climb, all things considered. Making a bivy with just the stuff in our butt packs would have been really unpleasant.