If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hunter & SW hunter

Balsam, Hunter, Leavitt Peak, North Dome, Sheridan, Sherrill
Jon

Hunter & SW hunter

Unread post by Jon »

Hiked up from Becker Hollow. We left NJ early and got to the PA by 9:30 and started out on the trail. The first 2 miles was a drag, no switchbacks or anything and it got progressively steeper. We got to the Yellow trail and took that past the spring to the fire tower. After climbing the tower we descended and took the blue trail over to the other Yellow trail and took that down to the Devil's path and checked out the Devil's Acre lean-to. We passed that and took the unmaintained trail to the top of SW Hunter or Leavitt mountain. After signing the canister we headed back out to the DP, and then up Hunter mountain again to the blue trail for Becker Hollow. When we started descending we hadn't realized how steep the terrain was, I guess we went up too quick to notice. It took us around 7 hours and we hiked 9.1 miles.

The weather was nice, it was 70s and not that humid and there was a little bit of a breeze, however there was some haze which restricted the visibility limit, and things further than 10 miles were quite hazy. I still got some nice shots, and added 2 more peaks to my list.

Looks like this bridge actually stood up to Irene, amazing with all the rocks piled against it.

Was basically this for 1.75 miles:

Then this for .25 miles

After turning onto the yellow trail, we finally made it to the conifers

Summit rock

What's engraved and painted on the summit rock:

Summit cabin and fire tower

There were a lot of panes of glass in the way, but the view in person was amazing. It was a bit scary climbing the tower with the wind above the treeline

The cabin from the tower

Burrough's Range from the southern viewpoint

Devil's Acre lean-to

Summit canister on Southwest Hunter

John gave up on trying to figure out which direction we were heading...these signs offered no solice.

The steep rocky descent down the becker hollow, that neither of us remembered climbing on the way up. The rocks here are very loose and the dirt is dry so everything gives way easily. We slipped and fell on our rears several times, and caused many small rock slides, but nothing serious

Last shot I took before we just got down to the cars.
TrunksWD

Re: Hunter & SW hunter

Unread post by TrunksWD »

Nice shots! I hiked Hunter and SW Hunter in April from the Devil's Path on 214. Seemed a little bit easier than the way you went up. I didn't fall at least coming back down. The fire tower was closed when I did it, so you got a nice treat with it being opened.
mtnclimber

Re: Hunter & SW hunter

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Nice trip guys. Don't think I have been in the tower on Hunter. Nice views.