If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Spruceton Rd to Broadstreet Hollow

Balsam, Hunter, Leavitt Peak, North Dome, Sheridan, Sherrill
opannod

Spruceton Rd to Broadstreet Hollow

Unread post by opannod »

I am looking for anyone who has knowledge of an old (1800's) road, turned
trail from the past. The area I am interested in is Spruceton Road (Mink Hollow Rd, I Think)
to Broadstreet Hollow. Is still accessible and if so, the distance from the
road, level of the hike, distance to the other end. Broad street Hollow
is part of Lexington /Westkill. However, it is not currently known to be
accessible without traveling to Route 28.
Lexington Bicentennial is in 2013 and we would like to include the
Broadstreet Hollow in the events, and would love to find a passable means
to get there and back. I am not sure if the land is state land or DEC,
(which to my understanding does not allow hiking).
If any of you advanced hikers knowledge could help
it would be greatly appreciated.
mike

Re: Spruceton Rd to Broadstreet Hollow

Unread post by mike »

There is an old road that runs from Spruceton Road up to the col between St Anne's and North Dome. I have never gone down the south side because it runs into private land at the end. the total distance would be around 2.5 to 3.0 miles.

This area is Mink Hollow on the north side and Joy Hand Hollow on the south side which flows into Broadstreet Hollow. Broadstreet Hollow actually leads up the summit of Westkill Mtn, which is very steep. It could not support a road.

The 1903 USGS topo map shows a trail/road running over this route. Just like the road from Westkill to Lanesville over Diamond Notch. You can see it here . The USGS map also shows that the road up Broadstreet Hollow went further then it does today, and there was a house up there. The topo maps call this route Broadstreet Hollow, while the tax maps call it Joy Hand Hollow.

the land on the south side is owned by (by the lakes):
Saddle Mountain Corp
85 Crescent Beach Road
Glen Clove, NY 11542

Hope this helps. If you want, I can check around to see if I can find more information.
opannod

Unread post by opannod »

Mike,

Thank you so much! This is all very helpful. I am curious, and will pursue whether or not the Saddle Corp would grant access for the bicentennial year events. In you opinion (my hiking skills are a walk to the car), is the trail from Spruceton Road (Mink Hollow) to as far as you have gone, easily hike-able.

We are not sure what type of access we would like or would need, but some of the thoughts being mentioned are horse and wagon (hay rides) ATV's, or even just cleared for a leisurely walk for anyone who wants to make the trip. (I would even do the leisurely walk). I think some of the people from the town would like to have it opened as a walking trail with benches(permission or alternate access would be needed on the south side).

I do not know what the laws (DEC) would require for that or how avid hikers would be affected if this were opened up. Those are issues we would address down the road.
Again Thank you so much. I can't think of anything more att his time, however, if you or anyone has or obtains further information please let me know.
Donna
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I doubt that the DEC will allow you to drive ATV's on the trail. The trail is no longer a road, but a hiking trail. Not sure what the other side looks like.

For a hiking trail in the Catskills, it is an easy hike. But, for non-hikers, it may not be so easy.

Not sure if you need a permit from the DEC?