If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hunter Mountain from Spruceton Road

Balsam, Hunter, Leavitt Peak, North Dome, Sheridan, Sherrill
Mitch

Hunter Mountain from Spruceton Road

Unread post by Mitch »

Hello all. I'm new to these forums, but I've been reading them for a while now. Thought I'd start out by posting my most recent trip report =)

On Tuesday, December 13th I hiked up Hunter Mountain via Spruceton road. In fact, it was the same hike as the previous post, but i figured you guys would like to see how the place looks with some snow!
There were a few inches of powder on the ground, and once I got above 3500 feet the trail became very icy. I was hoping it would, because I was eager to try out crampons for the first time. Worked like a charm! Microspikes would have probably been sufficient on this trial.

I saw no one on the trail, no cars in the lot, and the last visitor was a ranger on patrol 2 days prior. I did see a lot of rabbit tracks, and one set of deer tracks. Ran into plenty of grouse (I think) that would startle me as they burst out of the pines next to me.

Spruceton Road was in good shape, glad to see it opened again.

It was a great hike with awesome views. This might be my new favorite season in the Catskills.

Start of the trail:

Icy conditions:

John Robb lean-to and its view

From the fire tower:

mike

Re: Hunter Mountain from Spruceton Road

Unread post by mike »

Wecome to the forum Mitch!

Great pictures. I have hiked Hunter Mtn numerous times in the Winter. It is such a nice hike. Pretty cool that you can hike it w/o anyone else on the mountain.

Lots of water and ice flows on the upper part of the trail. Microspikes for sure! Cramp-ons wouldn't hurt either. I've got my snowshoes in the back of my car. Just waiting for enough snow to break them out. But, I like this time of year because the ground is frozen, which often makes hiking easier. Not many people out either, which is always nice.
Mitch

Re: Hunter Mountain from Spruceton Road

Unread post by Mitch »

Thanks Mike. It really is a great hike.

My day off is almost always a Tuesday, so I tend to see less people on the trails.

I'm excitedly waiting to test out my snowshoes, but I think I agree with you about the ease of the frozen ground. I think I just like the sound of the crampons biting into the ice :D