If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hunter Mtn & John Robb Lean-to

Balsam, Hunter, Leavitt Peak, North Dome, Sheridan, Sherrill
mike

Hunter Mtn & John Robb Lean-to

Unread post by mike »

Alexis and I decided to take a take a stroll somewhere on Sat, March 20, 2010. In the end we decided to take a walk up to the new John Robb Lean-to. If we felt like it, we would walk up to the tower. We got to the trail head fairly late. It was almost noontime. We parked on the side of the road. We popped on our snowshoes, registered, and headed up. It was almost 60 degrees and sunny.

On our walk up to the bridge, we ran into 3 guys from Connecticut trying to make snowshoes out of hemlock branches. Gave them a few pointers. Nice group of young guys. Alexis said that two of them looked like twins. We continued up the trail. Around the bridge we ran into two girls who were with the guys. They were postholing their way up the trail. They didn't want to try and make snowshoes. Both girls were very nice. One of the girls had done this hike the year before. But, this year caught them by surprise. They didn't know that we got over 100" of snow a couple weeks ago. With their effort, they made it up to the horseshoe turn before turning around. There was no way they were going to make it up to the top. Recommended that they try Last Chance Rest in Tannersville.

The trip up was warm. I wore my insulated snow pants. It was suppose to be windy, but instead it was calm. Okay, so I got a little warm. Alexis was quite out of shape, but continued on. Part way up we got passed by Jay pulling a sled. Jay was on a mission. We were moving very slowly with no plan in mind.

When we got to the col in between East Rusk and Hunter, we stopped for a while. Alexis feet were wet, so I gave her my extra pair of socks and my gaiters. We then continued up to the lean-to. Stopped a couple times to check out some of the views to the north.

When we got to the lean-to, Jay was lounging in his chair. I never get tired of the view from the John Robb lean-to. What a great lean-to. We talked with Jay for a while, and then headed back.

We ran into Ronnie on the way up. He was tired. We then headed down to the parking lot. It was a nice day walking about.

Here is a picture from the John Robb Lean-to: