If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hunter Mtn from Spruceton via Fire Tower Road

Balsam, Hunter, Leavitt Peak, North Dome, Sheridan, Sherrill
mike

Hunter Mtn from Spruceton via Fire Tower Road

Unread post by mike »

On Sunday, March 7, 2010, I ended up doing Hunter Mtn. I had been thinking about Blackhead with another group of people. But, the group size got too large, and I decided that Hunter might be better.

I got to the DEC parking areas around 10 am. The PA by St Anne's / North Dome was plowed out with a front end loader, and it was full. When I got down to the PA for the jeep trail up to the tower, there was one spot for a car shoveled out. There was a Japanese group of six unloading. So, I headed up to the next PA. That one was full too. Actually, more cars could have parked there, but the cars had parked haphazardly. At this point I ran into the Ranger. We had a long talk about the snow and the PA. We both lived in the area, and could relate to all the problems that the snow had caused. I then moved up to the last PA. There was space there. I would have to walk back 0.33 miles to get to the trailhead.

When I got parked I ran into a foreigner. He didn't speak English well, but wanted to know how to get to Westkill Mtn. When I looked at him, I became worried. No snowshoes, poor clothing, and no map. He had a camera around his neck. I asked him if he had snowshoes? He said yes. Okay...maybe he'll get there. I took out my VO map and showed him how to get there. He then asked where the trail head was. He was actually at the trial head, but he didn't know it. The snowbanks were 10' high. So, I took him about 25' down the trail. He then understood. He then took off for westkill without snowshoes. I was now worried for his safety. I was hoping that we wouldn't have to rescue him later.

Headed down the road. As I passed the second PA, there were some girls running around in the snow having fun. Very friendly, but they didn't have a prime parking spot. First come, first serve. I got down to the trail head by the first PA. The registration box was at foot level. Had to get on my hands-and-knees to register. Most people didn't register, which is really too bad. The more people who register, the more money we get for hiking.

Headed up the path. The stream was covered in snow. You could hear the water, but couldn't see it. Quite a sight! Got to the bridge, and saw that the snow was above the railing. Thankfully, it was a new bridge, so it could handle the weight. When I got the horseshoe turn, I ran into the group of Japanese hikers and skiers. I could also see a path up to Rusk Mtn from the horseshoe turn. Very nice group of people. I passed two of them on the uphill. I ran into the rest of the group about a 1/3 of the way up to the col. We talked a bit, and they took off. I rest a bit, and then headed up the hill. When I got to the col, I ran into the Japanese group. We talked a bit. They were waiting for the other two. I went ahead.

The steep section of the (which really isn't that steep for the catskills) had been skied. While going up two snowborders, a skier, and a backcountry skier came down. They were having fun. I started to look for the spring near the lookout, but couldn't find it. I could see the sign for the new John Robb Lean-to. Took the path. I could see other people had gone down the trail. But, they all got lost looking for it. I then had to break the trail. I took the steep rock cut down to the John Robb Lean-to. I was the first one there in weeks. The back of the lean-to was completely covered. The front had a slit opening in the top where you could slide in like an otter. The view is fantastic. What a great place for a lean-to. I could see that a fox had weathered out the storm inside the lean-to. Coyotes were looking for the fox. Lots of coyote tracks. Very few other tracks. Sadly, I didn't see the Bobcat tracks on top. I then headed down the trail from the lean-to to the spring. The trail needs to be cut out more. It was more of a bushwack. Fell off the trail numerous times. Finally, I gave up, and headed back to the trail. I headed up the trail.

When I got trail junction for Hunter Mtn Ski Bowl, I ran into two girls in their twenties. I headed up the trail with them. We had a good time. All of us hiked at the same rate, so it worked out good. One of the girls (Alison) took the picture of another couple.

When we got to the top, there was quite a group of people. About 20 in all. The girls headed up the tower. When they came back Alison feel into a snow hole, which turned out to be the top of the picnic table. Ran into one guy with 36" tubbs who came up the other side. He had to break the trail. It took him all day Saturday to get from Spruceton Road to the other Lean-to. Only a couple of miles, but very difficult ones. He said that from Geiger's Point to the top was exceedingly deep. A couple times, he sank in to the top of his head. Snow there was 6-10' deep. Probably some drifting going on too. From the lean-to up to the tower was also difficult.

After eating a bit, we headed out. I asked the girls if they wanted to see the lookout point. Alison was up for it. We headed south to the next trail junction. Traveling was difficult. With all the snow that had fallen from the trees, the snow depth was deep. It was like bushwhacking. We had to zig-zag around the trail. The trail to the lookout ledge was not broken. I broke it. Not sure if we followed the trail, but we got there. Alison was impressed with the views. Took a few pictures of her with her camera. Seems she is a good friend of someone in my family. Small world. Her friend was exhausted. Felt bad for her, but there was nothing I could do.

We headed back. Uneventful trip. Her friend was very tired and having a hard time. I left them at the trail junction to Hunter Ski area. I headed down. I stopped at the spring to try and get some water. Took one snowshoe off and used it as a shovel. I then proceeded to fall into a hole about 10' deep. I think I found the spring, but it was too far down to get water. The Japanese group came skiing down.

I was one of the last people off the mountain. I then headed down the mountain. Near the registration box I ran into a guy headed up to Rusk. He asked if the trail was broken. I told him it was. He planned on camping at John Robb Lean-to. He would really have to hustle to get there before dark. It was already 4 PM.

Got back to the car, and my map was still sitting on the windshield of my car. Happy that no one took it. Some one was kind enough to put in under the windshield wiper. Total mileage was 8.49 miles.

Didn't have any pictures because I forgot my memory stick.
mtnclimber

Re: Hunter Mtn from Spruceton via Fire Tower Road

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Sounds like quite the party on top. It was a great day to be out. I am going to have to check out the leanto. I have not seen it yet.
dave

Unread post by dave »

Nice trip. Too bad you don't have pictures.
mike

Unread post by mike »

The John Robb lean-to is worth the time to see. It looks over a ledge. There are some trees near the ledge.

Rain forcasted for Friday & Saturday, so keep this in mind.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I hiked up there earlier this week. Nice views from lean-to.