If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Pisgah Loop - sunny winter day

Ashland Pinnacle, Hayden, Huntersfield, Lake Heloise, Mt Pisgah (durham) Nebo, Sticklers, Steenburg, Richmond, The Knob, Zoar
alexis

Pisgah Loop - sunny winter day

Unread post by alexis »

Another weekend, another day for a hike. With the rain on Friday, Mike thought on Saturday that it would be a great day to do the Pisgah Loop. Couldn’t go up the usual parking spot as the road has been closed due to damage from Irene, so we went up to the other parking area. Thank goodness for 4 wheel drive and snow tires on the Subaru as the road was ice all the way to the top. So we started bushwhacking up to the service road past some big oak trees(some as big as 5 feet in diameter), then thru the clear cutting up to a thick stand of balsam firs and more prickers than I have seen in a while. Thank goodness I wore my gators, is all I can say.

Once we got to the service road, we had to put on our microspikes as the road was icy. But then of course as we hiked up toward Richmond and over to Pisgah, the spikes went off, then on, and then off again giving me a lot of opportunity for practice with them. The forest on Pisgah is really beautiful and it was a great day for a hike thru it, especially since I’ve never done it in winter before. We looked for the marker at the top, but couldn’t find it due to the debris and ice. Took the handicapped trail back to the service road. Stopped for lunch part way down and Mike took a little detour and investigated a small side road on the edge of the forest. We were also able to see Blackhead, Black Dome, Thomas Cole, Windham High Peak and Kaaterskill High Peak from the rock we ate lunch one, what a great view to see while eating!!! By the time we got back to the car, most of the ice where we parked was melted, which was good as I had been a little afraid we would have to “slide” backwards down to the main road.

Not a long or grueling hike, but definitely a nice one and a beautiful winter day,
SNEAKers

Re: Pisgah Loop - sunny winter day

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Sounds like a great day! Would love to see any pictures if you have any....

I can't wait for the spring (even though it seems like winter isn't really here). I have lots on my to do list this summer!
mike

Re: Pisgah Loop - sunny winter day

Unread post by mike »

She would have posted pictures, but we both forgot our cameras. I forgot my GPS and water on top of that. But, it was a very nice day.

Seems like Winter has never arrived. I almost wish it would either snow, or melt the snow. I don't like this in between stuff.