If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Ashland Pinnacle & Huntersfield - May 15

Ashland Pinnacle, Hayden, Huntersfield, Lake Heloise, Mt Pisgah (durham) Nebo, Sticklers, Steenburg, Richmond, The Knob, Zoar
mike

Ashland Pinnacle & Huntersfield - May 15

Unread post by mike »

Alexis and I headed out to hike from the Ashland State Forest to hike up to Ashland Pinnacle and Huntersfield Mtns. We drove into Ashland Pinnacle Forest from the north side of the mtn range. We parked at the mtn pass.

From there we bushwacked the 500' up to the trail. Not sure why the original trail is no longer there. We then headed up the trail. When we got to Ashland Pinnacle, we headed up the old trail to summit. Lots of prickers to block the way. We got up to the summit without too much difficulty. No views...just a trail. We headed back to the ridge line trail. We then headed down the trail to Huntersfield Mountain. As we approached Huntersfield, the prickers got real thick. We finally got up to the top. Had lunch in the Lean-to. Another couple passed through as we eat lunch.

I always like this hike for the Butterflies. In April I often see Morning Clocks and Gray Commas. In May I often see Red Admirals. During this hike we saw hundreds of Red Admirals. Here are two pictures:

Gray Comma Butterfly in April with snow on the ground:

Red Admiral Butterfly in May:
alexis

Re: Ashland Pinnacle & Huntersfield - May 15

Unread post by alexis »

Lots of prickers! Glad I had my pants on. Mike's legs were pretty scratched up. But, he was wearing shorts. Those butterflies were very fast, and didn't stay still very long. Mike got lucky with the one Red Admiral.