If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Pisgah Loop - April 24

Ashland Pinnacle, Hayden, Huntersfield, Lake Heloise, Mt Pisgah (durham) Nebo, Sticklers, Steenburg, Richmond, The Knob, Zoar
alexis

Pisgah Loop - April 24

Unread post by alexis »

Mike and I decided that we would hike on Saturday. I let Mike decide on the hike. I wanted a 5 mile hike that was fairly easy. Mike decided to take me to Giant Ledge. But, on the trip down, it was such a beautiful day. Mike then commented that the trail would be very crowded. I was not too crazy about a lot of people. He then suggested that we do the Pisgah Loop. He assured me that we wouldn't see a single person. With the loggers getting ready to cut down the forest, it might be my last time to see this beautiful forest.

When we got there, there were no cars in the parking lot. No snow either. Two weeks ago, there was 6-12 inches of snow. We headed up the trail to the pass. We then headed down the Long Path towards Mt Pisgah. It was a nice hike. It looked like no one had been there in quite a while. When we got the base if Mt Pisgah, the forest changed to tall conifer trees. This forest is just exceptional. There was a bear who had been digging in the path. Mike said that they always dig there. They sleep on the other side.

When we got to the top of the mountain, we had a hard time finding the USGS marker. We finally found it. It was covered with debris and branches. Still some snow in the water well. We then walked down the handi-cap trail. A porcupine had been very busy eating pine cones. Big piles below the trees. Mike showed me his underground home. Mike had seen him before. But today, we didn't see him. The loggers had been in the forest marking the trees for the clear cutting of the forest. It is really depressing to think that they will cut down this incredibly beautiful forest.

We then walked back up the road back to the car. We stopped and looked at the cleared cut forest they had cut down the previous year.

Mike and I then drove over to the Ashland State Forest. Still some snow left in the turnaround. It was a nice day to be out hiking.
mike

Re: Pisgah Loop - April 24

Unread post by mike »

It was an enjoyable hike. Glad to have you along with me today. I will be sad if they take the conifer trees out.