If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Mt Pisgah Loop - April 14

Ashland Pinnacle, Hayden, Huntersfield, Lake Heloise, Mt Pisgah (durham) Nebo, Sticklers, Steenburg, Richmond, The Knob, Zoar
mike

Mt Pisgah Loop - April 14

Unread post by mike »

After work I headed up the DEC Mt Pisgah Road. Finally, the road was passable. The snow melted enough that I could finally drive up to the end with a 4wd. Some snow still existed in the middle section.

Got there around 5 pm. Parked and headed up to the pass. Follow the yellow DEC markers. Cleared off a couple limbs across the trail. When I got to the pass, I headed down the Long Path towards Mt Pisgah. Trail was hard to follow. It is poorly marked. Walked off the trail a couple times. The Long Path follows the 100 year old ridge trail. It is actually a nice trail. You can see Mt Pisgah off in the distance.

When I got to the conifer forest I could see where black bears were digging in the path. They had been there not too long before I got there. I headed up the trail in the conifer forest. Such a beautiful forest.

got to the top. Still some snow on the summit covering the USGS marker. I then headed down the mountain. Didn't follow the jeep trail very long. I then bushwhacked down the mountain to the trail further down. Saw a porcupine part way down the trail. He was very upset with my presence. He was shaking his tail was he galloped off to his little cave. Didn't get a chance to get a picture. He was by the wet section of the conifer forest, which is where I usually see porcupines.

Got down to the road and started to walk back to the car on the DEC Mt Pisgah road. Got back around 6:45 PM. It was a nice way to end the day. I have done this hike a number of time. It is always good.