If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Huntersfield Mtn

Ashland Pinnacle, Hayden, Huntersfield, Lake Heloise, Mt Pisgah (durham) Nebo, Sticklers, Steenburg, Richmond, The Knob, Zoar
Birdman

Re: Huntersfield Mtn

Unread post by Birdman »

I did a loop hike on Sunday. I parked on Huntersfield Rd at the snowplow turnaround. A short distance down the dirt road I found the access. The long path aqua blazes have been replaced with red foot trail markers. There was a trail sign indicating the leanto was 2.15 miles. There was a fairly long flat stretch. Unfortunately this was like hiking through a swamp. The trail is not maintained and with all of the June excessive rainfall. At a turn the trail gained elevation. Even then the flat spots were bad. The red markers were well done. I reached the leanto via the yellow trail and signed in. Nobody had been up there for a couple of weeks. I decided to take the old logging road back down to Jim Cleveland Rd. Except for a few spots it was good. Once I got to the quarry I walked back to the my car via the dirt road. With the trail conditions as they were I decided to cancel my July 15th hike which I was leading. Hope everyone had a good Fourth. Ed
mike

Re: Huntersfield Mtn

Unread post by mike »

The logging road through the conifer forest can get quite wet. Like you said, like hiking thru a swamp. My hiking boots are waterproof, so I don't mind. But, it has been a wet June. The hike down to the quarry is always nice downhill. We hiked up to Bear's Den near North-South Lake. Trail was nice. Too many people.