If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Slide 12/13/14

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
Jon

Slide 12/13/14

Unread post by Jon »

So I was in the Catskills on some academic business, when I noticed there was a thick cloud of fog enveloping the high peaks. Everytime it moved away from the mountain, the glistening pure virgin white rime coated trees could be spotted from the valley. I chanced it and after lunch on my way home I saw if my little prius had it in him to make it through the Slide Mountain pass on route 47. I was like the little engine that could, the road started becoming more and more packed with slippery snow, but I finally rounded the turn past Giant's Ledge parking area and gunned the electro-motor-hybrid engine as much as I could to make it up the last bit of hill to the col by Winnisook. I passed 2,600 feet elevation and cheered as my car was going to make it! The hard part was over, now for a nice relaxing snowshoe.

Suggested gear for hiking at this time of year:

So after I got that all jammed in my pack, I strapped the snowshoes on and hit the trail by about 1:45.

Despite there being piles of snow everywhere, the streams are not frozen.

Trail up slide mountain was in about 8-10 inches of snow at the base, but there was a nice hard pack from previous snowshoes

The hemlock grove which is low on the mountain, and the first vertical, and likely steepest part of the climb, was covered in rime and a bit of snow. The hemlocks boughs which normally stick straight out were all bent down from the burden of weight, and one had to duck underneath them. I touched a few of the boughs and they felt very heavy, like over a hundred or more of frozen pounds just swinging at head level. It reminded me of walking through a meat locker.

Here the stream has melted the snow, so I had to cross the rocks scratching up my snowshoes, and then duck underneath some more hanging frozen hemlock boughs.

The low spring on Slide Mountain.

I was happy to be done with those low hanging hemlocks, and out into the more open trail.

However low on the mountain, the beech trees which were just near the trail were drooping as well. Most of them were at eyeball level for me, and I had to throw on my hardshell, look down, and run just to push through them.

Although from a distance the trees look to be covered with nice white puffy snow, this is not the case. Here is a zoomed in shot of some beech leaves on the branches. Everything was encrusted in several millimeters of rime, and was hard, cold, heavy, and painful to be hit with.

View of the canopy
Rime covered forest

The trail widens up a bit, and there were less things in my path stabbing me in the eyes. So I started to make better time. This section of the trail is usually punctuated by several water bars, which make for little obstacles/hurdles one must jump every few hundred feet. There was plenty of snow though, and I didn't even notice a single one. Going on this straightaway was quick, and i made great time up to 3500 feet elevation

After reaching 3500 feet, I realized the firs were just as burdened as the hemlocks lower on the slope. These again were hanging right in my path, and I was bobbing and weaving to get through. It was a frozen meat-locker obstacle course for sure!

Rime coated firs.

The trail markers were even beginning to get enveloped.

Summit trail to slide mountain. This is most likely after the big bend, but before curtis-ormsbee intersection.

A shot of the trail. Almost everything is obstructed, going around and under overloaded balsam boughs.

Whiteout conditions at the viewpoint. I was hoping for a bit of Panther or Giant's ledge, but I was in the thick of the cloud at this point

Summit of Slide Mountain 4,180 ft elevation

Burrough's Plaque selfie

I realized that it was now almost 4, and sunset was at 4:30. What ever could I do? I was three miles to the car and had a gauntlet of frozen hanging rime coated boughs in my way. I decided to snowshoe run! This is the reason I love winter. With no pesky unstable rocks in my way and nothing but soft fluffy snow I made my way down the same way I had come up. I got to the intersection after sunset, but still with a bit of twilight making the path visible

I reached the car just at the end of twlight, by around 5ish. Warmed up the car, knocked the ice off my boots and snowshoes and headed home
mike

Re: Slide 12/13/14

Unread post by mike »

I always love hikes with snow and rime on the trees. Looks like a great day out in the woods. How much snow was on top? Great pics!
trimble256

Unread post by trimble256 »

Excellent trail report! Thanks for posting.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

there was at least 18inches maybe 2 feet in places. Up on the clearing by the summit rock the wind blown drifts were much deeper. Thanks for the compliments. It's my favorite time of year for photos.