If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Burroughs Range, 2013-10-12/13

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
kennykb

Burroughs Range, 2013-10-12/13

Unread post by kennykb »

I already mentioned here that I hiked the Burroughs Range loop on Columbus Day weekend. I didn't make a full trip report then, because the coolest aspect of the trip required mentioning someone by name, and I don't do that in trip reports without permission. I finally heard back.

There's a full report over at http://dftscript.blogspot.com/2013/10/burroughs-range-2013-10-1213.html.

The reason that I didn't try for Table and Peekamoose on Monday was that I'd lost a couple of hours of hiking time on Sunday (that I might have otherwise put toward getting farther into the Neversink valley) to a literary circle on the top of Slide! It turns out that on Sunday the 13th, Joan Burroughs (John Burroughs's great-granddaughter) and Paul Misko were there, reënacting the hike that John Burroughs describes in The Heart of the Southern Catskills. I ran into them on the stairs. They did a reading of The Heart of the Southern Catskills atop the rock with the Burroughs plaque and shared a toast to Ms. Burroughs's illustrious ancestor. And I figured that the mountains would be there another day but the literary circle would not.

Fall colours at the low elevations were great:
The bridge at the Giant Ledge trailhead by ke9tv, on Flickr

View from the Wittenberg was superb as always:
Wittenberg in the morning by ke9tv, on Flickr

Cornell Mountain seems to be the only place with a good view of the slide on Slide:
View west to Slide Mountain from Cornell by ke9tv, on Flickr
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
mtnclimber

Re: Burroughs Range, 2013-10-12/13

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I think that I heard the Joan also did a hike to Rochester Hollow to memorial that was recently repaired for him. Pretty cool that you ran into her.