If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Giant Ledge & Panther

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
mike

Giant Ledge & Panther

Unread post by mike »

On Saturday we headed to the Slide Mtn Wilderness area to hike to Giant Ledge and Panther Mtn. We had hoped that we would have good leaf foliage. I have hiked Panther many times, but every time I have gone, it was in the clouds. Today I hoped for some clear weather.

When we arrived at the parking area, it became apparent that half the world also decided to hike giant Ledge too. We must have run into 500-1000 people. It was very crowded. Good weather and peak foliage is going to attract a lot of people. I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

At the beginning of the trail. the leaves were mainly green. I knew that as we moved up the leaves would no longer be green. It was also windy. there was a constant stream of people.

When we arrived at Giant Ledge the views were good. A little hazy and very windy. The wind stripped most of the leaves, so it was past peak. boat loads of people. We tried to take some pictures, but it became pointless. We then moved on to Panther. Most of the people stopped at Giant Ledge, and hiking to Panther was much nicer. When we arrived at Panther we took some pictures.

The view from the summit of Panther has become overgrown, so the views suck. At the rock before the summit had been cut, so there was a view. But, strange that you had to climb up on a rock to get a view.

We also visited the fields of ferns on the way back down. Nicest part of the hike. We then hiked back to the car. Very windy on top of Panther and Giant Ledge. sunny. Nice day out in the woods.

Beginning of the hike - green leaves

View of Wittenberg & Cornell from Giant Ledge

Small little fern path near the summit

View from the summit of Panther Mtn from the rock with a cut view

Overgrown view from the summit of Panther

View of the rock view near the summit of Panther Mtn

Large fern fields below the summit of Panther Mtn

Col between Panther Mtn and Giant Ledge

View to the east from Giant Ledge
mtnclimber

Re: Giant Ledge & Panther

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Nice pictures. The view from the summit of Panther looks overgrown? From the rock looks mighty nice.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Great pictures! We nearly ran into one another. I took your advice for the Burroughs Range loop and parked on Route 47 - on the side of the road way up from the trailhead because it was indeed very crowded. I didn't bother to do Giant Ledge and Panther this time because I got quite a late start, but hiked straight through the campground to Terrace Mountain. Enough beautiful views awaited on Sunday, and that way I got a head start on the Wittenberg.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
mike

Unread post by mike »

It was a zoo up on Giant Ledge. Too bad we missed each other. We'll get to hike together again soon. Thanks for the kind words.
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

The last picture is great. Really like it.