If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

View on top of Slide mtn in the past?

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
TrunksWD

View on top of Slide mtn in the past?

Unread post by TrunksWD »

I heard there use to be a spectacular view on top of Slide mountain near the John Burroughs Plaque. I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of this? I remember being told that back in the 70's it use to be a near 360 view.
mike

Re: View on top of Slide mtn in the past?

Unread post by mike »

I used to climb Slide often back in the 70's. Oddly enough, I never took a photograph, or if I did, it is long gone. The view wasn't 360, but, it was quite spectacular. The great view was of the reservoir. The DEC is suppose to keep the view cut back, but as you see they didn't do their job.

The view from Ashokan High Peak was 360, and was unbelievable. Now it is awful.
TrunksWD

Do you think the DEC will ever cut back the trees?

I would say Giant Ledge and Wittenberg are two of my favorite view points in the Catskills. I still need to get up the lower peak of Twin. I hiked Twin with Sugarloaf last year and didn't have enough time to get to the lower peak.
Last edited by TrunksWD on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

you could probably have a 360 view if there was over 10 feet of snow up there.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

From what I heard, the DEC isn't going to cut back the view on Slide. This isn't the first view point they let get overgrown. It really is too bad. The DEC crew gets upset when some hiker does there job too.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

DEC policy has changed. Slide is not a WIld Forest, but a Wilderness Area. Those are supposed to appear 'untrammeled by man', so cutting trees for a viewpoint is contrary to the policy. All the overlooks that DEC controls are in Wilderness Areas are being allowed to grow in.

Sometimes I think that if DEC had its way, the Catskiills and Adirondacks would be entirely depopulated, because any human presence is contrary to its Edenic notion of 'wilderness.' Such a wilderness has not existed in this part of the world in at least ten thousand years; even the First Peoples practiced controlled burning, maintained fixed villages, operated industry (for instance, flint mining), and otherwise left their imprint on the land.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
mike

Unread post by mike »

The DEC still trims and clears views in the Wilderness areas. But, it must be on an official trail. I guess I couldn't blame them for not wanting to lug up a chainsaw to the top. Or, to clear it with a handsaw.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

Well Slide mountain is different also because it has the largest area of balsam fir forest. I've heard the bicknell's thrush so much on that mountain compared to every other. I think that cutting down those firs would be contrary to everything the 3500 mark was established to protect. I wouldn't go as far to say that no one should ever tread on the mountain ever, however with global warming these boreal forests will start moving further north, and that will stretch the bird's migration route. Right now the Cats are about the southern extent, meaning the closest that the birds can fly to migrate. If they lose them they'll be forced over 100 miles north to the Greens or the ADK.

Another reason why I think that forest should be allowed to grow is to preserve the mountain geologically. It's called Slide Mountain for a reason. There's lots of land slides on it! It's very steep and those thick rooty spruce and fir help to hold the soil and prevent erosion. Yes landslides can still happen if the soil layer is undermined, but if that top was clearcut I'm sure the NE trail would get washed out more often. This would mean it would be more difficult to maintain a burrough's traverse trail. We all love the burrough's traverse trail don't we?

Also, while you might not get a full 360 view from the Burroughs rock, you can descend the NE slope for 1/4 mile and get a great view of Cornell and Friday and the Ashokan Reservoir. It might not have been the view from the top, but it still allows you to see some degree.
TrunksWD

Jon thanks for the post. I've never noticed the Bicknell's thrust before. That really changes my perspective on cutting back trees for a view, especially in the higher elevations. What time of the year are they normally in the Catskills? The summer months?

I ended up hiking Slide about a week ago for my brother's 5th high peak and for the second time this year I wasn't able to get a view at the main view point just before the summit. The clouds had rolled in, but luckily it didn't rain. However, it was clear going up the Long Path for the 2 other view points lower down. We went down a little bit down the steep side toward Cornell, but I guess we didn't go low enough to get to the view point. I've only been all the way down once and that was a couple years ago when I first started hiking in the Catskills.

I do hope to hike Slide, Cornell and Wittenberg either as a loop or with 2 cars someday. As a loop I have to see if it is okay to walk back on the carriage between Giant Ledge and Slide, or if I have to hike down to the GL parking area then walk along the road.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

TrunksWD wrote:I do hope to hike Slide, Cornell and Wittenberg either as a loop or with 2 cars someday. As a loop I have to see if it is okay to walk back on the carriage between Giant Ledge and Slide, or if I have to hike down to the GL parking area then walk along the road.
If you can put up with hiking with a slow old man, drop me a line when you want to do it! I'd love to do that loop as an overnight (stay up between Cornell and Slide) or even a three-day weekend (stay on Giant Ledge as well).
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.