If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Parking overnight at Woodland Valley?

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
kennykb

Parking overnight at Woodland Valley?

Unread post by kennykb »

I've been contemplating a hike or three in the general area of the Burroughs Range and Panther, and my Google-fu is failing me on finding out what the rules for parking at Woodland Valley actually are.

:?: If people are planning to stay in the backcountry (for example, Terrace Mountain, or the campsite on the ridge between Cornell and Slide, or the one off the old jeep trail west of Slide), is it possible to leave a car at Woodland Valley, or is overnight parking allowed only for people who are staying at the campground?
:?: Also, is it still possible to park there after the campground closes for the season?
:?: How far in do they plow the road in winter?

I know, starting from Woodland Valley, with the brutal elevation gain between there and anywhere else, is doing things the hard way. But sometimes you just have to do it the hard way. :)
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
Jon

Re: Parking overnight at Woodland Valley?

Unread post by Jon »

Heya, you can park in the Woodland Valley after season and don't have to pay a thing! If the sign is still up, then you should go to the booth and let them know what you're doing they'll figure out the charge. There is a separate parking lot on the the right of the road and about .1 miles BEFORE the booth which is for day use and backpackers.

I think last weekend was the final for the campgrounds this season, but I might be mistaken. You should be OK to just drive up there. The day use is only a few dollars. I don't know about the winter conditions, but there are lots of houses on that road, and I don't recall a snowplow turn. It is quite possible they turn around at the campground.

However if you're doing the whole loop parking at Slide mtn or Giant ledge PA are just as viable. You can still go clockwise just have to do the hike over to Woodland valley to start out with. Also since 47 is a county round I would guess it should be plowed, however it's very steep coming up from the 28 side.

The hike up wittenberg from woodland valley is my favorite. Unfortuneately since this past May there has been a lot of hemlock trees killed between 2000-3000ft. because of the invasive species of Hemlock wooly-adelgid. Those ancient groves on the northern slopes may only have another 5-10 years before they no longer exists. I encourage anyone to go and see them before everything is lost.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Jon wrote:I think last weekend was the final for the campgrounds this season, but I might be mistaken.
Thanks for the information! The statement above is indeed mistaken; ReserveAmerica (the contractor for site reservations there) shows Woodland Valley open up to Columbus Day, and I know from experience that the cabins at Copake Iron Works stay open right through the winter. I'm not used to parking at the State Campgrounds. (Obviously!) When I've parked at state parks rather than primitive trailheads, it's always been no-overnight-parking, like the day use lot at North Lake. At least there, you have obvious alternatives at Schutt Road and Laurel House Road.

It looks as if Woodland Valley would give me some flexibility in schedule. If it works out that I can arrive the evening before my trip, I can park there, hike up to Terrace Mountain and push off in the morning with a head start. Parking by the hairpin turn and stopping at Giant Ledge instead would be attractive, too. But I've been to Giant Ledge, never actually been to Terrace, so I thought I might try something different this time.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
thr0ttles

Unread post by thr0ttles »

Just did Giant Ledge and Panther on an overnight last weekend and parked at Woodland Valley. Just paid the $6, put the ticket stub on my dash, no problems.