If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Slide Mtn on Ground Hog Day

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
mike

Slide Mtn on Ground Hog Day

Unread post by mike »

On Saturday, February 2, 2013, we were suppose to hike with friends on a little known peak. But, due to a misunderstanding, we know where to meet. So, we decided to hike an easy peak. We drove further down the road to Slide Mtn. There wasn't much snow in the Catskills, and it was suppose to get up to 28 degrees. Sounded like a nice day in the mountains. When we arrived at the parking lot, it was a cool 11 degrees. Much cooler then we had expected.

Due to the lack of snow, we decided to put on our microspikes instead of snowshoes. This turned out to be a good decision. Our first challenge was to get across the small creek near the parking lot. It wasn't fully frozen, so there was a little challenge for us. But, we both got across the creek without getting wet. We headed up the trail. there was a couple inches of snow on the trail. Enough snow to make it a little slippery.

As we headed up the trail, we were passed by some much younger kids. Some didn't have gloves or warm clothing. They looked cold, and probably were. As we approached the switchbacks, there were some ice flows. Some minor challenges, but we got across them without incident. By the time we reached the switchbacks the wind picked up. It was near zero and quite chilly. We continued to hike up the mountain.

Above the switchbacks the snow was 6-12" deep and the snow was on the trees. It was cold. We reached the summit and didn't stay long. It was cold. On the way back I took some pictures. Each time I took pictures, my hands got quite cold. We didn't stop often on the way down. It was too cold to stop.

Here are some pictures:

Viewing area near the summit - Giant Ledge and Panther in the background

Just past the summit. Sadly, this is the overgrown viewing area. In the past there was a wonderful view of the Ashokan Reservoir

SNEAKers

Re: Slide Mtn on Ground Hog Day

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Looks like a great trip except for the cold ! The summit shot is still very nice even with the trees blocking the full view!

Did the route you take go past the plane crash? If so, is it easy to find?
mike

Re: Slide Mtn on Ground Hog Day

Unread post by mike »

I don't think I have ever seen the plane crash. There is suppose to be one on the east side, and it is suppose to be difficult to access and find.