If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Balsam Cap - 10/21/2012

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
TrunksWD

Balsam Cap - 10/21/2012

Unread post by TrunksWD »

First off I have to thank the people who made the description for this hike from Moonhaw Rd. We would have done the hike from the Neversink otherwise. We found our way up the logging roads and around the ledges no problem. We almost went up to Friday, even though I've done it before, but decided against it. Good thing because our GPS stopped working right before we got back to the logging roads. One thing though. The description for the hike mentioned a DEC Registration Box and I didn't see one.

This was my 34 out of 39 high peak. We left my place at 7:30 and got to the trailhead at 9:15. We made it to the canister on top of Balsam Cap at 12:00 and left the view point at 12:30. We got back to the car at 4:00, mainly due to making sure we didn't miss the logging road because the GPS died.

Start of the hike across from where we parked.

The ledge around Friday. We were on the rim trail at this point.

At the canister.

View of the Ashoken from the view point.

After the hike we stopped at the dam road that is now closed at the Ashoken since it was still early.
Jon

Re: Balsam Cap - 10/21/2012

Unread post by Jon »

wish I could have gone, I love that hike. Looks like some turbidity in the Ashokan again. Congrats on 34.
mike

Re: Balsam Cap - 10/21/2012

Unread post by mike »

You are right. There is NO DEC registration box. There are a number of routes to start the hike off with. The dirt road is the best. I see you used the trail from the road. That works too. Looks like you had a good hike