If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hike of Slide Oct 25, 2009

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
mike

Hike of Slide Oct 25, 2009

Unread post by mike »

Alexis and I did the hike of Slide (traditional route). Little under 6 miles. Real nice day for it. Since we have lots of rain the day before, the streams were high near the trail head. Alexis's boot fell off the rock into the stream up and down, and she got her wet feet. She was wearing high topped hiking boots. Some of the other hikers took their boots off. It was 1-2 feet deep. I had no problem crossing it without getting wet feet.

Water was running down the trail on the beginning of the steep mid-section before the campsite. Nothing terrible if you had good hiking boots.

The views from the side ledge were great. Could see Giant Ledge and Panther very well. You could also see where the meteorite struck many-many years also. The ledge past peak is almost grown over now. When I was younger there were no trees blocking the view of Ashokan Reservoir. It is only in recent years that they stopped cutting the trees back. Had lunch on the second ledge.

While we were eating lunch, a young hiker decided that he was going to climb the ledge where we were sitting. So he threw his pack and fleece up on top. the fleece and pack landed in a puddle of water. I guess he learned what a dumb idea that was after pulling his fleece out of the puddle. It was in the 40's.

Alexis was very much out of shape, and it was very slow going. I think we averaged 1.1 MPH. I reminded her that I often climbed Slide when I was 20 years old in 30 minutes. That was hiking, and not running. Back then I was a Marathon runner. I think that really annoyed her.

Checked out the campsite. Hard to find the entrance coming up, since the sign is pointing uphill. Not the greatest campsite.

Also checked out the side trail by the sharp turn. Only went down 100 vertical feet. Should be an alternate trail. But, right now only locals know about it. Just another hidden trail.

In any event, we had a great time. Weather was perfect. Great temperature, nice breeze, clear, and sunny.
alexis

Re: Hike of Slide Oct 25, 2009

Unread post by alexis »

It was a really nice day. But, the stream crossing sucked!